Inherited Cactus - Echinocactus?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Simon1983

Inherited Cactus - Echinocactus?

Post by Simon1983 »

I've inherited a cactus from my grandparents which I am told is between 60 - 75 years old. Not sure what variety it is, but would love to know so that I can take good care of it. From a brief Google search, it almost looks like some kind of Echinocactus but this doesn't seem to be borne out by its age. It's definitely a lot older than me because they've had it the whole of my 30+ years.

Any care suggestions would also be welcome.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (42.3 KiB) Viewed 636 times
Aiko

Re: Inherited Cactus - Echinocactus?

Post by Aiko »

That's an Echinocactus grusonii for sure.
Pictures on the internet will show you plants that are more wide than high. With lack of light they etiolate, and grow tall. It looks like yours has had the same (as almost all of Echinocactus plants that don't grow in a greenhouse in colder locations of the world or outside in sunny locations of the world). But to be honest, for a window sill Echinocactus this one looks quite nice. It has nice spines, and they look dense. Usually they are really really really etiolated and hardly spined because they are warm (induces growth), get a lot of water but lack sunlight (which they need if in growth).

If you live in a sunny and warm place in the world, you might want to place this one outside. In more moderate places you can probably take it outside during summer.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Really growing our plants in pots is Bonsai culture even if they are constantly re-potted or fertilised compared to being in open ground with free root run. Probably planted in open ground or a greenhouse bed with free root run the plant could be twice as large or more in the same time, or even using larger pots. However not everybody wishes their plants to grow too quickly in greenhouse or windowsill culture or they can quickly run out of room for them.
luigonz

Post by luigonz »

yes nice spines
'The skeletons of the plants are for me as important as the flowers.'
instagram: @oakbeard