Help idetifying my fast growing cacti?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mistral

Help idetifying my fast growing cacti?

Post by Mistral »

Hi,

I picked up a long spiny cacti specimen at a grocery store about 5 years ago and kept it in its original pot indoors where I live in Toronto Canada. I summer or two later I decided to take it outside in June and not too surprisingly it grew quickly so I re-potted it in a larger pot and repeated this 2 more times over the past 3 years. When I had originally bought it, the plant stood about 14" tall not including the pot, while now it stands over 6 feet tall and weighs a ton! I have found through trial and error that this cacti seems to enjoy periods of wet soil for a few days and will tolerate it for a week or so between drying out. I just have it in regular potting soil within a large pot that has holes for drainage and it gets direct sunlight from the south all day and the odd days of continuous rain.

I have searched all over trying to find out what species this is and although I'm guessing it's common since I found it in a grocery store floral department, I would really like to know the exact species so I can research where it comes from and what sort of climate it prefers. Here in Toronto we get warm/hot humid summers (although not too hot this past summer :x) I'm guessing it could be a coastal species of cacti, since it seems to enjoy humidity and even frequent rain seems to make it grow best. I've even had the soil soaked black with rain for a week with the plant only growing at amazing rates with a firm touch to the pads with no wilting signs etc.. I would like to know if it's cold tolerant to frost since we have had a few nights lately with the temps falling to only +3 degrees Celsius and although I plan to bring it inside until next summer soon, we do have temperatures foretasted to reach the low 20s this week, so I plan to give it one last week of warm sun.

I posted two pictures below and as for description, it does have the spines clearly protruding from the fuzzy white spots on the stocks and as I mentioned is currently over 6 feet tall and growing every week. I have never once noticed it flower. When it's well watered and in hot sun, it takes on a bluish green hue and seems to change between that blue and the more green color it appears to be in the photos.

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
cacti1.jpg
cacti1.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
cacti2.jpg
cacti2.jpg (43.41 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Mistral

Re: Help idetifying my fast growing cacti?

Post by Mistral »

One more picture..
Attachments
cacti3.jpg
cacti3.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
savant

Post by savant »

I don't think it's a cactus. Probably a Euphorbia but i'm not a fan of them but some one will know on here.
Latin is a dead language thank goodness.
Mistral

Post by Mistral »

I think I found it! Cereus hildmannianus seems like my species and I'm 99% sure the cacti in this picture is mine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cereus_hil ... lowers.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mistral

Post by Mistral »

Okay now I'm not so sure about that link since the Latin name provided brings up different shaped and angled columns than my plant so I'll remain patient for some experts to reply.

Thanks.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

It is a cactus, the areoles tell you that. My guess would be Cereus peruvianus, but I don't grow any columnar cacti and someone will be along soon to give you it's true I/D.

Steve
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You can bet the nursery that grew it called it Cereus peruvianus. See http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article3.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
Mistral

Post by Mistral »

Thank you! This has been an excellent help and I've learned so much about my cactus in only a few minutes of reading.
Onzuka

Post by Onzuka »

greenknight wrote:You can bet the nursery that grew it called it Cereus peruvianus. See http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article3.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Having read the article in the link, I think that you can safely label (tag) your plant as Cereus peruvianus and we'll all know what you are referring to.

Steve
Mistral

Post by Mistral »

I can't wait until next spring to bring this cacti back outside in the sun and use a good fertilizer mulch to get this plant to flower and grow some fruit.