Is This Cylindropuntia imbricata??

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
BrianS

Is This Cylindropuntia imbricata??

Post by BrianS »

Howdy!

Been getting interested in cacti. Last month I got this cutting in Fredericksburg, TX. Said the mother plant was from somewhere in West Texas. They only knew it was a Cholla.

My first post here and looking forward to meeting y'all

Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_3665.JPG
IMG_3665.JPG (106.53 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Hook 'Em
CeeKay9

Re: Is This Cylindropuntia imbricata??

Post by CeeKay9 »

Looks like an Opuntia cylindrica aka cane cactus. It also looks like there could be some spider mites hanging around too, I think I might see some at the top pup in both corners. :o
Attachments
cactus.png
cactus.png (284.63 KiB) Viewed 961 times
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

The suggestion that it is "Opuntia cylindrica" is probably not correct although I can't see much detail in the photo to go by. Opuntia cylindrica is now Austrocylindropuntia cylindrica and certainly that species in not native to Texas. If the locality data are correct then it must be a Cylindropuntia species. Not that many Texas species of Cylindropuntia
so Cylindropuntia imbricata is a good possiblity based on the spines and what stem I can see.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
BrianS

Post by BrianS »

A. Dean Stock wrote:The suggestion that it is "Opuntia cylindrica" is probably not correct although I can't see much detail in the photo to go by. Opuntia cylindrica is now Austrocylindropuntia cylindrica and certainly that species in not native to Texas. If the locality data are correct then it must be a Cylindropuntia species. Not that many Texas species of Cylindropuntia
so Cylindropuntia imbricata is a good possiblity based on the spines and what stem I can see.
Dean
I will see if I can get closer pics. I have the "over 40 cant see nothing syndrom" :lol:
It is therefore difficult for me to see small detail even with my specs
Hook 'Em
Tom Roach

Post by Tom Roach »

Cylindropuntia imbricata are prone to pests, are they not?
Something is doing a number on mine :(