epi ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
leland

epi ID

Post by leland »

Anyone have first hand experience with epiphyllum costaricense? (also listed as E. thomasianum ssp costaricense)
Cuttings I have taken in the field from some locations have grown out with short flat stems, most noticeable at first by having pointed rather than rounded tips, and also a slightly leathery appearance. Flowers are very similar to the other E. thomasianum with long, rounded, more tender flat stems.

Plants have long cylindrical primary stems and flower buds come the underside of the flat stems. The main thing I am not seeing in the literature is the pointed stems.

IMG_6657_1.JPG
IMG_6657_1.JPG (86.95 KiB) Viewed 555 times
IMG_2448_1.JPG
IMG_2448_1.JPG (49.89 KiB) Viewed 555 times
IMG_2456_1.JPG
IMG_2456_1.JPG (83.48 KiB) Viewed 555 times
DaveW

Re: epi ID

Post by DaveW »

Can't find much on the Web, but see these sites:-

http://www.cristoalmeria.com/epifitos20 ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nancypochisbank.com/2014/09/ ... the-night/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Species are often variable, so often it is a case of whether you believe there is one widespread very variable species, or many less variable species with limited distribution? Obviously we also get used to the original clones that were introduced into cultivation being typical of the species, whereas if you are obtaining new clones from the wild they are likely to show there is more variation than originally supposed.
leland

Re: epi ID

Post by leland »

In nature many of these plants are immature, damaged, heat streesed, or in odd locations where it is difficult to see or photograph them. In the garden, it is quite common to see many different forms on the same plant, which makes it impossible to use just one photograph to document a species. As the plants age it becomes more possible to determine the ``mature`` form.

Thank you for the internet references. I, too, have done searches and it is amazing how little info is available on a species that was named over a century ago. NCL Illustrations ed 2 has a photo of the flower, but none of the stem.

I am not a professional botanist. My leanings are toward not naming a new species for every small difference. My experience in growing out these plants shows me the appearance can change over time, sun exposure, elevation. etc. If these are E.t.costaricense, they are growing at the far north/drier/cooler end of their range, which could produce some differences.