Mammillaria ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
savant

Mammillaria ID

Post by savant »

I have had a Mammillaria for quite a while now but I have never thought the ID was fully correct. I bought it as a M. camptotricha but I think it might have a different name. I would like someone to confirm if possible.
My first picture is of a Ferocactus stainesii but I've Googled it but it doesn't show any of the buff coloured spines but red ones.
Attachments
Ferocactus stainesii
Ferocactus stainesii
DSCF1625.JPG (139.5 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Mammillaria camptotricha +
Mammillaria camptotricha +
DSCF1628.JPG (88.78 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Latin is a dead language thank goodness.
iann

Re: Mammillaria ID

Post by iann »

M. decipiens ssp campstotricha.

The Ferocactus doesn't look at all like M. stainesii.
--ian
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

The ferocactus looks like f. latispinus flavispinus, and I would think its almost certainly two separate plants that would benefit from individual pots and space to spread.
savant

Post by savant »

Thanks for the ID. I will be spltting them tomorrow. That was a good buy, two plants for the price of one.
savant

Post by savant »

Here is an update to my splitting of the Ferocactus:
Attachments
DSCF1641.JPG
DSCF1641.JPG (81.9 KiB) Viewed 916 times
savant

Post by savant »

I have also looked at the Mammilaria camptotrica. Ian's suggestion was M. decipiens ssp campstotricha but I have found a very similar cactus called Mammillaria camptotricha cv. Marnier-Lapostolle ("Curlispina"). I might put the two names on, one under the other.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

savant wrote:I have also looked at the Mammilaria camptotrica. Ian's suggestion was M. decipiens ssp campstotricha but I have found a very similar cactus called Mammillaria camptotricha cv. Marnier-Lapostolle ("Curlispina"). I might put the two names on, one under the other.
Same species, just differing opinions on how it should be classified.

The Ferocacti look good. :D
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As the "cv" suggests Marnier Lapostolle's plant was originally a selected clone from his collection and goes around under many variations of the name:-

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... tollei.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marnier Lapostolle was a great cactus collector and was also head of the family that makes the Grand Marnier liquor. I think Backeberg named some of his species from Marnier Lapostolle's collection, but as living types are not allowed and were never preserved in a herbarium the names were invalid. Cultivars (cv) are of course governed by a different naming code.

http://www.diffordsguide.com/en/bartend ... /8/history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;