ID help please! (Escobaria?)

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
moonchild

ID help please! (Escobaria?)

Post by moonchild »

Hey guys! I've had this established cactus for about a year now, and it just began to bloom late August (our hottest time of the year). Two blooms each time, simply gorgeous yellow color with pinkish tips. Measures approx. 4 inches tall by 3.5 inches wide. Just a single plant, no growths out the sides or anything. I had guessed Escobaria missouriensis myself but cant be certain. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

CactusJordi

Re: ID help please! (Escobaria?)

Post by CactusJordi »

This is definitely a Coryphantha. But sorry, I don't dare ID the species.
Neobesseya/Escobaria missouriensis has thinner spines, usually a center spine and flowers mainly in spring.

Jordi
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I would say Coryphantha radians or C. cornifera, which these guys think are the same species: Coryphantha cornifera ;
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusJordi

Post by CactusJordi »

I am only ready to trust your ID as soon as I see a stout central spine of the mature plant.

Jordi
moonchild

Post by moonchild »

Thank you both! My cactus doesn't have the protruding spines near the top as C. cornifera, however maybe my plant isn't mature enough? Either way, Coryphantha seems like a pretty good place to start looking. Thanks again!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You're welcome. If you prefer the nomenclature CactiGuide uses, it could be C. radians. I'm not really sure myself, just trying to point you in the right general direction.

Sometimes different authorities don't agree on how a plant should be classified, you just have to take your pick. The flower on that one definitely matches what's shown on that CactusArt page I linked to, though.
Spence :mrgreen: