Silver Torch or not???

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
aimeekinsey

Silver Torch or not???

Post by aimeekinsey »

Could someone please tell me if i'm correct or not in thinking that the large cactus in the window box is a silver torch? I got it from ikea a few months ago along with the grafted cacti to the right of it also in the window box, it was the same size as them and it has grown considerably since i put it in some cactus compost. It's roughly 12 inches in height and i've read that they are mature at roughly 18 inches(if i've identified it right), could anyone also give me some advice about fertilization in order to encourage flower growth in the summer months? Many thanks
Attachments
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG (38.46 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Minime8484

Re: Silver Torch or not???

Post by Minime8484 »

Definitely is Cleistocactus strausii (sometimes called "Silver Torch" or "Snow Pole", but I've also seen C. hyalacanthus referred to as a Silver Torch).
In my experience, this species doesn't start blooming until about 2 ft tall, though I'm sure others have a different experience.
The species is easy to care for, but seems to appreciate a bit more water than other cacti, even in winter, as long as the soil is well-draining.