Seedling ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nona

Seedling ID

Post by nona »

This one came from a commercial supplier with a generic label: "cactus" :(

Would anyone have a clue what species it might be? Thanks.
seedling.jpg
seedling.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
gemhunter178

Re: Seedling ID

Post by gemhunter178 »

Some type of Ferocactus?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I don't think it is a Ferocactus.
More like Echinocereus?
nona

Post by nona »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I contacted the supplier. While they can't be certain given its young age, they assume it to be Oreocereus Neocelsianus.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Oreocereus? Hmmm, that might be it too, indeed. Based on the look of the epidermis and areoles. But I would expect some hair...
Astro

Post by Astro »

I'm with Aiko, looks like Echinocereus sp.
nona

Post by nona »

Aiko wrote:Oreocereus? Hmmm, that might be it too, indeed. Based on the look of the epidermis and areoles. But I would expect some hair...
So did I. I must admit the skin, spines, color, shape are a very good match for O.Celsianus. Time will tell.

By coincidence I planted some O.Celsianus seeds a few months ago so I'll get to see how they develop from "ground up" :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Oreocereus neocelsianus (neo=new + celsianus) is exactly the same plant as Oreocereus celsianus. It was simply that Curt Backeberg thought there was some uncertainty in the original publication of celsianus so renamed it.

However nobody else agreed so the correct name is Oreocereus celsianus, therefore you will find exactly the same plant under both names:-

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-50134558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nona

Post by nona »

DaveW wrote:Oreocereus neocelsianus (neo=new + celsianus) is exactly the same plant as Oreocereus celsianus. It was simply that Curt Backeberg thought there was some uncertainty in the original publication of celsianus so renamed it.

However nobody else agreed so the correct name is Oreocereus celsianus, therefore you will find exactly the same plant under both names:-

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-50134558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Dave. I was aware of the dual naming. The nursery in question refers to it as "O.Neocelsianus" and have labels printed that way, so I felt obliged to quote it. In this instance the plant came with a non-descript label which often means it's not their standard range and I imagined I was buying something "rare" :)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, just pointing out if you have plants under both names you do not have two different Oreocereus species, but the same plant under two different names. Nurserymen either do not know to correct the name or realise they can sell two plants where they would have only sold one if the name was correct! :D