Cactus ID (+ other) help, please?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
theheatherboo

Cactus ID (+ other) help, please?

Post by theheatherboo »

Hello there!

I recently acquired 3 cactus, honestly on a whim. Ive been unable to ID one of the trio and am having some problems with another, so Im hoping you guys can help me out. (:

The first was labeled as a Mammillaria hahniana and this seems to be correct. She's been my trouble child so far. First off, since she was placed into her new, larger pot, she has begun tilting pretty drastically. I know not all cacti grow all symmetrical and pretty, but it was such a rapid and drastic tilt that I thought Id mention it just in case. Additionally, she continuously grows little flower buds, but they never open and quickly dry up and fall out. Not sure what I can do about this or what this might mean in regards to the health of the cactus.

The second seems to be an Echinocactus grusonii?

The third, the tall fuzzy pillar, is where I am lost. I have been unable to ID this one and part of its wool is quite brown in color? Its been this way since I bought it. Again, not sure its actually something to be concerned about, but I feel compelled to make sure.

Thanks in advance to anyone/everyone who answers!
Attachments
cactus1.png
cactus1.png (445 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
cactus2.png
cactus2.png (368.46 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
cactus3.png
cactus3.png (370.7 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
tumamoc

Re: Cactus ID (+ other) help, please?

Post by tumamoc »

1. May be a Mammillaria
2. Echinocactus grusonii
3. Cleistocactus strausii
pins&needles13

Post by pins&needles13 »

#3 looks more like an Espostoa to me.
hlchang

Post by hlchang »

#1 may be Mamm magnimamma .
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

#3 seems like Espostoa to me too... could be some young Oreocereus, but doesn't look like C.strausii.
Bruno
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

theheatherboo,
your first plant is indeed Mammillaria hahniana; the tilting is normal, nothing you can do about that.
The second one is E. grusonii, and I agree that the third one is an Espostoa. The brown on the wool is just dirt, again, nothing you can do about that.
Filip
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Though some plants naturally have inclined crowns plants will incline towards the light if lighting levels are too low or the light is coming from a single direction somewhat removed from the plant, such as towards a window if the plant is in the interior of a room not on the windowsill. Otherwise the plants look OK so far, but you say you have not had them long? Remember our plants are high light intensity plants and not really house plants suited to room interiors unless very brightly lit. Windowsills are the best place for them.
theheatherboo

Post by theheatherboo »

All these are currently on a windowsill that receives sunlight in the morning for several hours. I tried turning the tilting plant in the opposite direction, but it has continued to tilt in the same direction as before regardless of this change. I have had the M. hahniana since late March. The other 2 were bought 2-3 months ago.

Thanks very much, everyone!! Quite happy to know what the wooly one is, finally!!