What could this be??

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
willow

What could this be??

Post by willow »

Hello All,
We bought this beauty at a garden centre and has been flowering for weeks now and now it seems all of the stems are starting to flower! Except the small pups. It seems to be getting more and more spines lately as well.
I wonder if anyone of the more experienced growers could advise on what it is. It came with no label.
Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
unknown cactus august 2014 1.jpg
unknown cactus august 2014 1.jpg (69.36 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Brunãozinho

Re: What could this be??

Post by Brunãozinho »

It's a Mammillaria polythele var. inermis (also called M. polythele f. nudum). Sometimes some areoles has spines. It flowers all the time if in the right conditions.
Bruno
iann

Post by iann »

Not usually clumping. You may well have several plants in one pot for impact.
--ian
willow

Post by willow »

Many thanks Bruna for your reply. It is continuing to flower and grow quite thick spines on some younger stems.
Iann thank you too for your reply its nice to know the names of these as you can then learn how to take proper care of it! I got a bargain then if its many plants planted together! It has been planted in peat it looks like. So next spring will repot and put it in better soil as impossible to wet. It was a good price £5.75!
Thankyou for the information
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I don't think I'd wait until spring. You've got enough time for it (or them) to get re-established before fall. Of course, the blooming would be interrupted, but it would be best for the welfare of the plant(s).
Spence :mrgreen: