Cactus curiosity

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Zhanna

Cactus curiosity

Post by Zhanna »

Does anyone know what kind of cactus this is, and more importantly, why it seems to have two different types of segments growing on the same plant? I found it growing alongside the Golden Orb Trail in Long Key State Park, southern Florida.

Thanks!
P1040870cm.jpg
P1040870cm.jpg (58.75 KiB) Viewed 764 times
TexasPricklyPiglet

Re: Cactus curiosity

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

I don't really know what this cactus might be. It appears to be the result of grafting, but it is weird that it is going out in a park! It's an interesting picture to say the least.
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Very curious indeed. A confused Harrisia? :-k
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

TexasPricklyPiglet wrote:It appears to be the result of grafting, but it is weird that it is going out in a park!
My first thought when I saw it was some kind of natural graft; can something like that happen?! It was definitely bizarre.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

tumamoc wrote:Very curious indeed. A confused Harrisia? :-k
Possibly; I know Harrisia grows in the Keys. Maybe someone more familiar with the area will have seen this before. I would love to check on this cactus again and see what it looks like now (the photo was taken in February), but I live 1200 miles away. :(

I've seen other examples of cacti where new growth looks different from older growth, but I don't see any way the top part could turn into anything that looks like the bottom part. Maybe it can?!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

No grafting involved I don't think. As bizarre as it looks, I think it must be the transition from juvenile growth form to adult growth form. I can't say what species it is, but probably a Harrisia of some kind.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog