Fun with seedlings/babies

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Annieb

Fun with seedlings/babies

Post by Annieb »

I'm a long time lurker, but relative newbie to posting here. My favourite thing is to grow plants from seed or cuttings and pass them on eventually. I like to have some sort of ID before I pass them on if I can. Here are some of my recently repotted babies and if anyone cares to take a guess at the seedlings in the bottom pic, feel free, just for fun. My tentative IDs follow (and some which were also kindly supplied in my newbie intro thread). Also, when should I repot these guys up a size? I just recently repotted them but didn't move them up a size because they were still pretty tiny. Any advice warmly accepted :)

1) Opuntia something (it's variegated and sooo cute!)

2) Austrocylindropuntia ?? f. monstrosa

3) Opuntia robusta f. monstrosa

4) Ferocactus emoryi

5)Mammillaria elongata

6) Echinopsis huascha

7) Mammillaria....

Some new seedlings. Are some of them red because they're getting too much light? They aren't getting a whole lot of light and zero direct sun. The mix is said to include 'Cereus, Golden Barrel, Hedgehogs, Mammillarias, Opuntias, Cleistocactus, Echinopsis, Organ Pipes, Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Trichos, Parodia, Saguaro and more. (Obviously I'm putting these pics in just for fun :wink: I don't expect miracles from you guys). They're just so darned cute!

There are 2 in the last pic (more or less dead centre and at 4o'clock in the photo) which are really red, perfectly round and look like tiny tiny butts. They don't have any sort of spiky pointy bits on the top (are they properly called cotyledons even though they aren't really leaves? I've looked and can't find any proper botanic diagrams for cacti seedlings).

Anyhow, they're not being kept as wet as the photos look.. I had just spritzed them before I took the pics. They're so danged cute! :lol:

Thought I'd include a pic of my greenhouse buddy and general manager, Hissy McMadpants. He says 'Move along, citizen'. :lol:

iann

Re: Fun with seedlings/babies

Post by iann »

The colouring does indicate too much light. It doesn't look fatal at this stage, but these are tiny and it would be nicer if they were green.
--ian
CactusFanDan

Re: Fun with seedlings/babies

Post by CactusFanDan »

1. Opuntia monacantha monstrosa
2. Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrosa
3. Opuntia robusta monstrosa
4. Ferocactus herrerae, maybe? emoryi is another possibility.
5. Mammillaria elongata
6. Pachycereus pringlei seedlings? Could be Echinopsis too.
7. Mammillaria polythele, probably.

The other just-germinated bunch look fine.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog