Need Help with some names

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
SteenAZ

Need Help with some names

Post by SteenAZ »

This is my first time posting here so hello to fellow cactus fans. I am trying to identify and label a few assorted unknown cacti in my front yard display garden. Some of these were gifts or rescued plants from where I used work. I have a decent knowledge of many of genera but these have me stumped. I love to use both the scientific and common names. In the case of my Aloes I have even made up a common name when I couldn't find one.
Attachments
This one was a rescue from a plant biology class. It was a cluster about 12 to 14 inches tall and now it is almost 3 feet and branching out. Spines are only near the top and space almost an inch apart.
This one was a rescue from a plant biology class. It was a cluster about 12 to 14 inches tall and now it is almost 3 feet and branching out. Spines are only near the top and space almost an inch apart.
Help ID #2.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
This one was a gift from Home Depot and had no label. I have a guess but I want to get some input from the experts here.
This one was a gift from Home Depot and had no label. I have a guess but I want to get some input from the experts here.
Help ID #1.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
Here is one more. Also a gift from Home depot. There are about 8" tall.
Here is one more. Also a gift from Home depot. There are about 8" tall.
Help ID #3.jpg (77.62 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Last edited by SteenAZ on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steen Allard-Lawson
Tempe, AZ
Kamos

Re: Need Help with some names

Post by Kamos »

The first one is Myrtillocactus geometrizans I think.
Neal
teo

Post by teo »

Second looks like Cleistocactus winteri
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed with Kamos on the first one.

The second one looks like Cleistocactus winteri (syn. Hidewintera aureispina), which is a trailing cactus - but they do grow upright at first. How tall is that?

[edit] teo's post appeared while I was typing the above.
Spence :mrgreen:
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Second one is Weberbauerocereus johnsonii.
Fairly commonly available in HDs/Lowe's nowadays, sometimes in the same pot with Cleistocactus tupizensis or C. strausii.
SteenAZ

Post by SteenAZ »

Kamos wrote:The first one is Myrtillocactus geometrizans I think.
Thanks! I am 98% sure you are right. I might need to move it. The current location is close to the driveway.
Steen Allard-Lawson
Tempe, AZ
SteenAZ

Post by SteenAZ »

greenknight wrote:Agreed with Kamos on the first one.

The second one looks like Cleistocactus winteri (syn. Hidewintera aureispina), which is a trailing cactus - but they do grow upright at first. How tall is that?

[edit] teo's post appeared while I was typing the above.
There are 4 of them and they are 10 to 15 inches tall. They show no sign of wanting to bend or arch. Weberbauerocereus johnsonii has also been suggested but I think my reservation on that one is they are rather slender, about 4 inches in diameter.
Steen Allard-Lawson
Tempe, AZ
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

The last lot are Pilosocereus gounellei. They won't survive a frost and ideally need to be kept above 7-8 degrees C (46F or so).
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
SteenAZ

Post by SteenAZ »

CactusFanDan wrote:The last lot are Pilosocereus gounellei. They won't survive a frost and ideally need to be kept above 7-8 degrees C (46F or so).
Thanks! I agree with your finding. No worries about cold here in Phoenix. Our biggest issue is keeping some of the cacti from getting fried in the afternoon sun.
Steen Allard-Lawson
Tempe, AZ