Cactus Flower

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Hermit447

Cactus Flower

Post by Hermit447 »

I have this plant, see photo. When I bought it, it had a bloom. Now six months later it still has the bloom.
I've tried to gently deadhead it, but it's still firmly attached. I've even wondered if it's dried flower glued on ](*,) to make the plant more attractive for sale.
Is it normal for flowers to last this long?

I'm specially interested in this plant because it is the first I bought.

Thank you for your thoughts.
cactus_flower.jpg
cactus_flower.jpg (139.09 KiB) Viewed 875 times
JamesEG

Re: Cactus Flower

Post by JamesEG »

Cactus flowers generally don't last very long, some are even open for only one day and then die, so yes unfortunately this is a glued on straw flower, the cactus might eventually out-grow the flower and it'll drop off but that could take a while. You could also try cutting bits off the flower until you reach the glued area to make it less noticeable and maybe it'll be easier to remove.

Your cactus looks like some kind of Mammillaria so it should bloom with a nice of (normally) pink or purple flowers around the top :D

I hope this helps!
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Mammillaria hahniana perhaps. As James said, the flower is glued on. You can try and remove it yourself or wait for the plant to grow out of it.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

If you do a search, there have been several detailed discussions about removing straw flowers. Don't pull - you'll damage the tender skin, which is usually where the flower. I cut it off, bit by bit, with tiny embroidery scissors. Sue
Hermit447

Post by Hermit447 »

Thank you one and all. I will nibble away at it. I can be very patient. BTW this is strike two for Lowes. Strike one was a completely mislabeled succulent that I asked about earlier--the Coral Cactus. More fun, more people kilt!
Hermit447

Post by Hermit447 »

Good news. I was able to remove most of the flower with some careful snipping (thanks Sue) and the plant doesn't appear too damaged. I'm going to let the rest grow out and see what happens.