Another Melo

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
oldcat61

Another Melo

Post by oldcat61 »

Another melo followed me home - it was in with a bunch of ferns at the local garden center & begged me to rescue it. Once I scrapped off the moss, the soil was the usual wet peat/perlite with the dry hard center. When I got it all cleaned up, the roots were awesome - I've put it in an 8inch azalea pot until I find a nice glazed one. My kind of deal - big, cheap & very spikey. Any ID guesses or do I just call him Unknown #6? Thanks, Sue
Attachments
1-new melo.jpg
1-new melo.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 614 times
1-new melo top.jpg
1-new melo top.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 614 times
sabotenmen

Re: Another Melo

Post by sabotenmen »

It's very difficult to ID a Melo cactus, especially without cephalium. I don't think it will take long to get the cephalium with this one, though. Congrats on a nice addition to your collection.
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

A very nice looking plant =^_^=
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sure looks like a Melo -- the spines make me think matanzanus. Sue, if you have the cactus in a 4" pot and it starts growing a cephalium soon, I think that would confirm it as matanzanus. The species takes about 5 years from seedling to maturity, so they take less time to develop cephalia than most (maybe all?) other Melos. I'd be really interested to see your progress on this one.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

Steve - see first post; it's in an 8inch azalea pot. This puppy is big! I have a matanzanus with a ceph which is much smaller. I brought all the melos into the GH & they looked so cute I took a family portrait. He's the big guy on the right rear. Sue
Attachments
1-Melo Family.jpg
1-Melo Family.jpg (84.3 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

oldcat61 wrote:Steve - see first post; it's in an 8inch azalea pot. This puppy is big! I have a matanzanus with a ceph which is much smaller. I brought all the melos into the GH & they looked so cute I took a family portrait. He's the big guy on the right rear. Sue
Ooh, definitely not matanzanus then! Sabotenmen is correct about the difficulty of getting proper ID unless and until a cephalium starts growing. I'm still pretty confident that you do have a Melo, though. It'll be interesting to find out how things progress here.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)