Eriosyce Identification Help Required

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Quinas

Eriosyce Identification Help Required

Post by Quinas »

Hey there , I come here to ask for your help in the Identification f this 3 cacti, I came across the 3 plant for sale and I bought the first 2, but did not buy Number 3 because in the photo it seemed the same as N1. Now I am having doubts.
At the same time I ask your help in identifying correctly all of them. In the sale they were only identified as Eriosyce sp.
I tried identifying the ones I bought but I don't know if I am identification is correct I am still new at this).
In my research I identified N1 Eriosyce odieri (but am not sure) as an N2 as Eriosyce paucicostata ssp paucicostata 'neohankeana' (this was the most similar I found and the name was under the photo I found) ... I did not know if N3 is Eriosyce odieri or not.
The urgency is that I can still try and buy N3 if he is different from N1 ... it seems a bit different ... but it maybe the photo.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Attachments
N1_n.jpg
N1_n.jpg (31.28 KiB) Viewed 412 times
N2_n.jpg
N2_n.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 412 times
N3_n.jpg
N3_n.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 412 times
DaveW

Re: Eriosyce Identification Help Required

Post by DaveW »

The problem is many Chilean Eriosyce of the former genera like Thelocephala (Chileorebutia) and Neochilenia/Horridocactus are often dimorphic in that their adult spination is very different to the juvenile one, therefore many can look like Thelocephala's whilst small. You really need flowers or larger plants to make an educated guess, There were buds forming on the last one which would have helped. (Thelocephala predated Chileorebutia therefore takes priority if you don't lump them all into Eriosyce)

Some blue click on links to illustrations here:-

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... eorebutia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CactusFanDan

Re: Eriosyce Identification Help Required

Post by CactusFanDan »

I'd punt for E. odieri, E. esmeraldana and E. odieri again. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog