A little bitty - what?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
KittieKAT

Re: A little bitty - what?

Post by KittieKAT »

Mine has gray spines and kinda darker almost blackish ones towards the middle then inn the very middle turn almost brown, I'll post a picture when I'm home
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Idon't really see tha much resemblance to those in that link, but maybe your right it is yours so you would kno, and u can't go off of names all the time i have a golden ball cactus, that's columnar...lol cause they grow that way when they are older heehe!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Little resemblence to most of them, but magnimamma is highly variable - there are a few that are fairly close.

One thing that doesn't fit - central spines are usually absent from magnimamma. That's not always the case, though, as in the ssp. shown here: http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... a_saxicola" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, well; I bought it because it was unusual, guess I shouldn't be surprised if it's not that easy to place. :-k
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Lol, trust me i don't kno what half of mine are and I'm sure half that had ids on them weren't or aren't correct lol, iding it's over rated sometimes, just enjoy it!

This is mine really crappy camera the flash is blurring but I'm sure u get the drift of it.. I'll take better ones when the suns up and i don't need flash.
Attachments
The 3 musketeers
The 3 musketeers
CAM02097.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 759 times
A too close up...blurry at that...darn flash :(
A too close up...blurry at that...darn flash :(
CAM02098.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 759 times
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

The spines are a dullish gray to a white then it has. Brown inn the middle on the tips kinda like striped
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yours does kinda look like mine, but with not so much light and love..so give him a bunch of love and then take a picture and then we'll have to guess all over again hehe!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's been getting lots of light the last 2 summers, actually. Once I determined that it was not prone to sunburn, despite its rather sparse covering of spines and wool, I started giving it as much as I could. Before that it had no wool in the axils, now it has a little, but still not much. Other changes were longer, stouter spines, and a more compressed shape - you can see the progression by comparing the first pictures I posted with the later ones.

The lack of much wool is a big reason I doubt it's nejapensis/karwinskiana or polythele, thogh I can't totally rule them out. Maybe in another year or two...
Spence :mrgreen:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea it's hard with ids sometimes, like I've said half of my cacti have no id's and if they did come with one, i doubt that they are correct :D
Well keep us updated on changes with this little guy and then we'll have to start the guessing game ALL over again heehe!