Another mammillaria ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Franj

Another mammillaria ID

Post by Franj »

Callin CP :D

I've had this plant in the ground now for several years and never knew what it was. Then I picked up a small one with similar spination at Home Depot marked Mammillaria scrippsiana. But Mammillarias.net states M. scrippsiana only gets to be 4 inches across. The one in the ground is at least six.

Franj

iann

Post by iann »

That's not M. scrippsiana :)
--ian
Franj

Post by Franj »

Needed to bump this back up, it's still not resolved. It has been suggested on another forum that it may be Mammillaria lloydii. Need opinions.

Franj
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

Hi Franj, lloydii is a possibility, and it reaches 6 inches dia. (usually less)... but I'm not sure if lloydii branches dichotomously. When I first saw your pic, my initial thought was something in the karwinskyana group, like ssp. collinsi but there don't appear to be any bristles among the wool, and spines are not quite right.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi CP,
I have an M. karwinskiana also and you're right the spination isn't right. As I stated earlier I also have a small one of these, only about 3 inches across, and it's allready splitting. So that seems to be a trait of this cactus whatever it is.

Franj
Atozbotanicals

Re: Another mammillaria ID

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Mammillaria nejapensis.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.