1 ID please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Eustace

1 ID please

Post by Eustace »

Visit my cacti blog:

http://www.cactus.blogger.ba
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Eustace,
this looks familiar. It is a monstrose form of a cactus, possibly a cristate form of an Opuntia sp. The image of "Opuntia cylindrica cristata" in the cactus picture contest under the "cactus monsters" headline could be the kind of cactus you have.
Harald
parodias

Post by parodias »

This is not a "monstruose" from but a "cristate" .. probably a mammilaria, maybe a Notocactus but I'm gambling for the Mamm ..
FWIW
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi, Eustace,
is it possible that your cactus is still very small? I definitely would not search it in the Opuntia- or Mammilaria-family.
But it might be the cristate form of Cleistocactus winteri. I've got one of these, if you will pm me on Wednesday or later that you still don't know the ID, then I will send you some pictures of mine back. (Sorry, earlier delivery is not possible.)
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
taliesin

Post by taliesin »

I have also seen leninghausii cristates very, very similar....just a thought.
someone pass me the tweezers!
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Finally, here we go: my Cleistocactus winteri by night, fast asleep.

What made me think we got the same plant are the round forms and the kind of "parting" of the spines (like in a haircut) along the brims of the crests:
Image Image

This is the cristate form of C.winteri. The "standard form" are like long snakes with golden bristles. I got mine as a pure cristate, but the last two years he started to grow snakes as thick as a thumb, too. Don't ask me why, maybe he got bored.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Spikey1007

Post by Spikey1007 »

When i saw the picture i said to myself Cleistocactus winteri cristate they have quite disticntve spines and its one of my favorite cacti and one of my favorite genus, so i go with ruth :wink: .