What kind of opuntia are these?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
mjazz

What kind of opuntia are these?

Post by mjazz »

These were planted on the south side of a commercial building. A nearby river overflowed and the parent plants were actually underwater for a while.
As luck would have it, a few pieces got knocked off, so I salvaged them. They have a typical yellow flower similar to O. humifusa.
Attachments
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00174.JPG (124.75 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
DSC00173.JPG
DSC00173.JPG (151.22 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
fanaticactus

Re: What kind of opuntia are these?

Post by fanaticactus »

Could they possibly actually be humifusa? I note you're in RI and it's a fairly common garden cactus here in the northeast.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

hell in PA we had some growing like weeds.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I don't think that is O. humifusa as I imagine that species. I think this looks a lot more like O. macrocentra, but then it would have red centered flowers.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

Thanks to all. I have O. humifusa and they are quite a bit different, they have a sprawling habit.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Agree with you, mjazz. Have humifusa too -- virtually spineless, pads smaller & slightly thicker.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

if those aren't O. humifusa then what are they that would grow naturally in PA?
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Maybe they weren't "natural" -- maybe another cactus-freak ahead of their time! Us N'oreasters are counting on you Opuntia experts out West! :lol:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Could this be Opuntia macrorhiza?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

I think these are phaeacantha. Do you remember if the flowers have an orange center or are they pure, light yellow? Also, do the pads fall prostrate and get very wrinkled in winter or does it pretty much retain its shape?

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I'd guess phaeacantha or lindheimeri.
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

peterb wrote:I think these are phaeacantha. Do you remember if the flowers have an orange center or are they pure, light yellow? Also, do the pads fall prostrate and get very wrinkled in winter or does it pretty much retain its shape?

peterb
They have the orange center, like the humifusa. I think they droop a bit but don't fall prostrate and wrinkle.
Here is a picture of what I thought was O. phaeacantha in a different part of the yard. I took the pic because the fruits appeared to ripen before the O. humifusa: (Maybe it's not even O. Phaeacantha):
Attachments
DSC00172.JPG
DSC00172.JPG (65.04 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hmm, I am used to humifusa being pure yellow. ?? I think the orange center increases the odds these are phaeacantha. Just my .02, of course, as only fools give flat out 100% positive IDs for Opuntia! :-)

peterb
Zone 9
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

:D Thanks from me too, Peter. I inherited 2 (positive) humifusa because no spines, wrinkle, lay flat & pure yellow flowers. Just a couple of weeks previous, I had bought (of course) what I have been calling humifusa (nursery selling clueless, but all the same characteristics, except orange centered blossoms), so I had been suspicious. Also throws an occas. spine across top of pad. Have been just as "neglected" as the other 2 (humifusa) & doing just as well thru past 3 winters now. Now I have (confirmed) polyacantha & a phaeacantha "Dark Knight" to watch this coming Spring :D
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

peterb wrote:Hmm, I am used to humifusa being pure yellow. ?? I think the orange center increases the odds these are phaeacantha. Just my .02, of course, as only fools give flat out 100% positive IDs for Opuntia! :-)

peterb
I'll have to take some better pictures of what I'm pretty sure are humifusa. I posted some here at cactiguide earlier that I must have scanned before I got into the 21st century and bought a digital camera. I tried looking up earlier posts but pictures no longer showed up. But I'm positive they had the orange centers. Below are what I think might be humifusa (notice the spiny relatives to the right for contrast). I bought them online as an unidentified opuntia hybrid. When I got them in the pots they looked something like opuntia fragilis with rounded joints, but they grew into pads:
DSC00100.JPG
DSC00100.JPG (125.88 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Here is one in another part of the yard:
DSC00102.JPG
DSC00102.JPG (58.35 KiB) Viewed 1072 times