Turb ID please!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Steve Johnson

Turb ID please!

Post by Steve Johnson »

I have what I believe to be a Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus ssp. schmiedickeanus. The Turb didn't flower at all last year, but it finally gave me one today:
Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_01.JPG
Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_01.JPG (190.2 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_02.JPG
Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_02.JPG (227.45 KiB) Viewed 721 times
I know flowers help to get the right species, so hopefully this'll be confirmation for what I have ID'd.

Thanks!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
iann

Re: Turb ID please!

Post by iann »

More likely ssp klinkerianus.
--ian
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Hi Steve,
I'm with Iann....below is my small Turb Klinkerianus flower.
Note: The focus is on pot not flower :oops: ](*,)

Regards,
Hendry
Attachments
turbi.jpg
turbi.jpg (69.81 KiB) Viewed 701 times
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Yes, it looks very similar to my klinkerianus, and as other people agree on this, I would go with Klinkerianus. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Okay, I'll have to update the name on my plant list, photos, etc. I find Turbs rather baffling, so I really appreciate your help on nailing down species by the flower. By the way, I posted a photo before I saw the flower -- this was back in May. Ian said that the Turb looks like an old one. Any idea how old? Not that it matter, just kinda curious. (This plant could be a remnant of the Cactus Data Plants collection when Woody sold it to the California Cactus Center.)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

Well I can tell you that your plant is indeed very old. See the curly, corky-type central spines? Those are the adult spines, as Turbs tend to have two forms of spination: the juvenile spines and the adult spines. Since all you can see on that plant is adult spines, then i'm guessing that plant must be, at the very least, 20 years old, and it's very likely that it could be 30 years or older, especially if it has been grown in less than ideal conditions. :) It's an oldie, for sure.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog