School cacti needs IDs

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
bett

School cacti needs IDs

Post by bett »

There's a couple different cacti in my university's greenhouse but no one seems to have the species names for most of them. Three of the cacti are what I think are Echinopsis, and one of them happens to be flowering right now. I got some pictures of it just now in hopes that someone might have the correct name for it.

I might post a few more cacti later. There's a large Pereskia here, some Austrocylindropunitas, Opuntias, Rhipsalis, and some epiphytic cacti as well. A couple are flowering so hopefully that will make them easier to identify. Thank you for the help.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Looks like Echinopsis oxygona to me.
vlani

Post by vlani »

I'd go with E.eyriesii here as well
bett

Post by bett »

Thanks for the replies.
Here's a few more cacti I took pictures of earlier today.
Pereskia and it's flower

Epiphytic cactus and flower

This might be the same species as the one above since the flowers on it look the same (they were all dried out today) but there's more triangular sections on the plant. It might just be because it's older.

No flowers on this one but all the segments are flat.

Here's the huge Austrocylindropuntia (sublata I think). However, the large one is completely normal looking...

While the small ones that the professor claims are cuttings from the large plant seem to be monstrose. Not sure where the cuttings were taken from, since the large one has no other branches on it.
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

The red flower is a very old Epiphyllum hybrid called 'Ackermanii'. You've got the Austrocylindropuntia just right - normal subulata and monstrose subulata.
bett

Post by bett »

It's odd that the large one is in normal form while the small ones are monstrose since they're supposedly cuttings from the old one. Could the old one have reverted to normal growth very early on while the cuttings stayed mostrose?
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

Yes, possibly. I don't grow this any more but years ago my monstrose plant produced a normal branch.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

phil_SK wrote:The red flower is a very old Epiphyllum hybrid called 'Ackermanii'.
This is true, but not correct. These plants are almost always referred to by that name -even in books.

However, the hybrid is Disocactus x hybridus while "ackermanii" is a true species which is quite rare.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti