3 cacti for id, please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
GK23

3 cacti for id, please

Post by GK23 »

Hi,
I have 3 cacti that I would like ID'ed
Thank you very much! :D
Also, does anyone know how to remove the dust off the first one without damaging the spines?
Last edited by GK23 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toadstar

Re: 3 cacti for id, please

Post by toadstar »

Hello, we can't see your pictures. Try a different image host such as http://imgur.com

GK23

Post by GK23 »

Is it working now?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

1 is a parodia
2 is a mammillaria
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
teo

Post by teo »

Last may be a Mammillaria carmenae
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

If by dust you mean the old areole wool that eventually becomes detached, just take it outside and blow on it or use some type of air pump as long as it is not too forceful. You will not be thanked if you do it in the room after somebody has dusted though. In nature the wind blows it away.

Some like to leave it on though, since with some species it makes them look woollier. I remember we had a branch trip in the UK to see a collection in the 1960's and the owner did a lot of showing. There was a very wooly Mammillaria there and one of our members said "you can easy get rid of that old wool" and gave it a blow. The owner nearly went mad since he had avoided top watering etc in order to leave it on as he considered it made his plant woollier looking and more likely to win in shows. Of course it only works for still air greenhouse grown plants because if you put them outside the wind removes it anyway.

It was one of the fluffy Mammillaria chionocephala types where the wool gradually detaches in age and still lies on the plant unless blown or washed off:-

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTMyWDgwMA==/ ... 880000500F