What type of Cactus is this?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Swim

What type of Cactus is this?

Post by Swim »

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased this cactus at a hardware store.

I have no idea what type of cactus it is or how to look after it. I am particularly concerned about how best to get it through the winter as I live in Berlin...

Any help identifying the cactus and tips on looking after it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Cactus.jpg
Cactus.jpg (38.85 KiB) Viewed 709 times
teo

Re: What type of Cactus is this?

Post by teo »

Hard to see finer details but it looks like a Euphorbia and not a cactus. If it bleeds white sap (latex) when pricked it's definately so.
Swim

Post by Swim »

Hallo.

Thanks very much for your help. I think it did bleed white at some stage. do you know where I could get more information on looking after a Euphorbia?

Thanks
teo

Post by teo »

Basically it's the same treatment as a cactus of same size. Possibly a little more sensitive to cold (<5C) than a cactus.
Swim

Post by Swim »

Thanks. But I still don't know what would be appropriate for a cactus of the same size?

Can you recommend how often I should water it and how much water? I also read that during the winter it is better not to water the a cactus due to the lack of sunlight.

I am a real novice when it comes to these things, so inside knowledge you can provide is much much appreciated.

Thanks.
teo

Post by teo »

Look at the articles here for a start: http://www.cactiguide.com/biology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , especially 'Making Your Own Cactus Soil' and also here: http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I usually water (until it flows out at the bottom of the pot) once a month and not at all in winter.