New cactus ID please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
vonozo

New cactus ID please

Post by vonozo »

I'm a cactus newbie trying to identify this cactus so I can get some help for it. This is a photo from the day I bought it with the yellow flowers on top that were opening and closing during each day. They have since began to shrivel - not sure if I've sunburned them/over-watered them/something else.

The cactus itself is round, almost spherical, about 15cm high.

Any help identifying it will be much appreciated - then I can move it over ho the 'sick cacti' section.
Attachments
IMG_1835cropped.jpg
IMG_1835cropped.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
DaveW

Re: New cactus ID please

Post by DaveW »

See:-

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=35567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Either Notocactus (Parodia) mammulosus or submammulosus, the only real difference between them was how long the central spines were.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

Hi,
it is normal for the flowers to open and close for a few days then dry up ,that is what they do.There's nothing wrong with your cactus.

:)
iann

Post by iann »

15cm is a pretty monster plant for that species. No wonder it has so many flowers.
--ian
vonozo

Post by vonozo »

Thanks everyone for your help. What a rookie I am - I bought a plant which only looked its best for a couple of weeks, now it's all over!

Will I have to wait until next year to see those flowers again?
iann

Post by iann »

It isn't a strict once-per-year flowerer, but it will very likely take a rest after these are done. Take the opportunity to make sure it is in a suitable pot and soil, settle down, then see where it goes from there. Once established it can flower intermittently right through the warm months.
--ian
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Some cacti flowers only last for one night. Many make up for it with a succession of flowers though.

If you plant bulbs in the garden how long do their flowers last before you need to wait until next year for them to bloom again?

The idea is to acquire cacti from different genera that will prolong the flowering season of your plants from about April to September.
CactusMad

Post by CactusMad »

I buy cacti that i really like the look of and i count their flowers as an added extra.

:)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you wanted flowers, you chose well - this species flowers its heart out. Once it's acclimatized to its new home you'll get tons of flowers.
Spence :mrgreen:
vonozo

Post by vonozo »

Thanks @greenknight, that sounds wonderful - I'm really looking forward to learning all about my new cactus.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They do need good light to produce those tons of flowers, I'm assuming you can provide that. More details about cultivation here - http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... bmammulosa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a difficult species.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As said the only real difference between N. mammulosus, N. submmulosus and N. turecekianus is spine length and thickness.

Here is my N. mammulosus with finer spines.
mammulosus.jpg
mammulosus.jpg (99.31 KiB) Viewed 937 times
N. turecekianus has the stoutest longest spines of this group.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/NOTOCA ... kianus.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a plant from a small red flowering population of the normally yellow flowering N. submammulosus in habitat which goes around as N. mammulosus "Red Flower" but has now been described as submammulosus ssp. minor.

Notocactus submammulosus (Lemaire) Backeberg subsp. minor (Kiesling) Abraham, Internoto, 16: 82-86, 1995
Parodia submammulosa (Lem.) Kiesl. subsp. minor Kiesl., Cact. Succ. J., 67: 14-22, 1995
submammulosus  minor2.jpg
submammulosus minor2.jpg (60.3 KiB) Viewed 937 times