CactiGuide.comcactus forum
cactus home cactus identification cactus tech care for your cactus learn more about cactus
cactus nomenclature where cactus grow cactus forum cacti pests and diseases why I grow cactus

Turb ID please!

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.

Moderators: hob, templegatejohn

Turb ID please!

Postby Steve Johnson » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:37 pm

I have what I believe to be a Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus ssp. schmiedickeanus. The Turb didn't flower at all last year, but it finally gave me one today:

Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_01.JPG
Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_01.JPG (190.2 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_02.JPG
Turbinicarpus_schmiedickeanus_ssp_schmiedickeanus07232012_02.JPG (227.45 KiB) Viewed 184 times

I know flowers help to get the right species, so hopefully this'll be confirmation for what I have ID'd.

Thanks!
Steve Johnson

Re: Turb ID please!

Postby iann » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 pm

More likely ssp klinkerianus.
--ian
iann

Postby hendryterok » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:02 am

Hi Steve,
I'm with Iann....below is my small Turb Klinkerianus flower.
Note: The focus is on pot not flower :oops: ](*,)

Regards,
Hendry
Attachments
turbi.jpg
turbi.jpg (69.81 KiB) Viewed 164 times
hendryterok

Postby CactusFanDan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:05 am

Yes, it looks very similar to my klinkerianus, and as other people agree on this, I would go with Klinkerianus. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
CactusFanDan

Postby Steve Johnson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:19 am

Okay, I'll have to update the name on my plant list, photos, etc. I find Turbs rather baffling, so I really appreciate your help on nailing down species by the flower. By the way, I posted a photo before I saw the flower -- this was back in May. Ian said that the Turb looks like an old one. Any idea how old? Not that it matter, just kinda curious. (This plant could be a remnant of the Cactus Data Plants collection when Woody sold it to the California Cactus Center.)
Steve Johnson

Postby CactusFanDan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Well I can tell you that your plant is indeed very old. See the curly, corky-type central spines? Those are the adult spines, as Turbs tend to have two forms of spination: the juvenile spines and the adult spines. Since all you can see on that plant is adult spines, then i'm guessing that plant must be, at the very least, 20 years old, and it's very likely that it could be 30 years or older, especially if it has been grown in less than ideal conditions. :) It's an oldie, for sure.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
CactusFanDan

Return to Cacti Identification