Wanted: Edible succulents(no cacti allowed)

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
LLLcacti

Wanted: Edible succulents(no cacti allowed)

Post by LLLcacti »

I have been hunting down edible succulents for roughly a 1 1/2 years now and still have had no luck locating
sempervivum tectorum(I would prefer the red but will settle for green)
rhodiola rosea
Dudleya cymosa
Graptopetalum paraguayense

I try not to buy online because I will be eating them I want to get them from someone who grows and eats them themselves.

I have:
Portulacaria Afra(clippings)
Hylocereus undatus(clippings & seeds)
Cereus repandus [this cultivar has no spines](seeds only)
I have a few others but these are the only edibles. If you have edibles that I have not listed please feel free to tell me a bit more
about them. I'd hate to be missing out.
Message me or post here wont be online for a few more days, so no rush.
The blind are truly blessed for there is no sight as marvelous as murals painted in their minds,
The deaf are truly blessed for there is no sound so joyous as the orchestra that plays in their heads!
Aiko

Re: Wanted: Edible succulents(no cacti allowed)

Post by Aiko »

I believe Dioscorea is edible. Family of the yam.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Banna yucca(baccata)
You could get it from seeds.
A few people sell them, and i suggest trying cactusstore since youre in the USA
keith

Post by keith »

dudleya edulis found around San Diego
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Be extremely careful with Dioscorea if you go that route, the edibility can change even with variety or strain.
Every Portulaca species is edible. As well as Sedum, Salicornia, Aloe, Agave, and Yucca.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Atozbotanicals wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 5:39 am Every Portulaca species is edible. As well as Sedum, Salicornia, Aloe, Agave, and Yucca.
Be very careful - seek specific, species by species information on toxicity and methods of preparation for eating!

This may be a useful starting point for cultivated ornamentals: http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blog ... dix-2.html

Wikipedia reckons some Sedums are toxic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedum.
Given the large number of Sedum species, it may be safe to assume that some species not listed are also toxic. Maybe not deadly, but enough to give an upset stomach, perhaps.

I can't remember seeing references to ANY Aloe leaf being used as a food. Aside from external medicinal of sap etc, many Aloe species are apparently used as laxatives:

"The sap of Aloe species contains anthraquinones. These compounds have several beneficial medicinal actions, particularly as a laxative, and many species of Aloe are thus employed in traditional medicine. Whilst safe in small doses and for short periods of time, anthraquinones do have potential problems if used in excess. These include congestion and irritation of the pelvic organs. Long term use of anthraquinone laxatives may also play a role in development of colorectal cancer as they have genotoxic potential, and tumorigenic potential." : http://tropical.theferns.info/viewtropi ... 0marlothii

The above link also details a more niche food use of Aloe, from the nectar, e.g. of A. marlothii.

Agave leaves apparently contain Calcium oxalate, so need to be cooked or prepared in other ways before eating. A. murpheyi seems to be one of the best Agaves for general food use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_murpheyi
Similarly, Yuccas, expecially the roots, often contain saponins, which may be somewhat toxic or at least unpalatable, and need cooking before consumption.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

For Aloe I was referring to the nectar, I just was listing the genera I knew of.
For Yucca the seed pods are the main palatable part.
Plenty of the North American and Mexican sedum are edible however excess can cause stomach problems. I agree that specific species info will be a necessity.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
Auscactus

Post by Auscactus »

Tecticornia lepidosperma, commonly called Samphire is an Australian succulent that can be eaten. Carpobrotus also produce an edible fruit, the most prized of which seems to be Carpobrotus edulis.
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

There is also Pseudolithos mccoyi.