WANTED Opuntia

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
neffpd

WANTED Opuntia

Post by neffpd »

I am looking for some prickly pear. I'd prefer to find some cuttings and pads if anyone has some available, but willing to try some seeds as well! Don't have ready access to them here in WI like many others do.
mdpillet

Re: WANTED Opuntia

Post by mdpillet »

Seeds will take a lot of preparation and work, so you're likely not looking for those. You also do not want to just get a random species - many if not most are NOT cold-hardy.
neffpd

Post by neffpd »

If anyone has recommendation of the cold hardy variety, that'd be great. I am more interested in the "spineless" varieties as I am mainly trying to grow them as a food source for some of the reptiles that I keep. I've also heard of nopalea grande?
mdpillet

Post by mdpillet »

As far as I know, there are no true spineless varieties. You'll have to clean every pad quite a bit before you can use it as food. What do you want to feed it to?
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

Opuntias of many types are common as dirt here. If you can figure out what type you might want, I can probably find some cuttings and put them in a flat-rate box for you. I have some thorn less pads (still a few glochids on them though) I could probably send. Unsure of the species or cold hardiness. Send me a PM and I'll get some photos.
neffpd

Post by neffpd »

I'll be feeding to a tortoise and some uromastyx. The sp. that I have seen most common in the reptile industry is opuntia ficus indica. Vipassana, I'd love some of the cuttings and pads if you are willing to put some in a flat-rate box. I'd of course be more than happy to reimburse for shipping!!
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Opuntia humifusa are cold hardy and they grow in the wild here in Nebraska and beyond. If you know any farmers or ranchers in your area then I'd ask then if they have any in their pastures that you could take.
Here's my neighbor's patch:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=36862#p322973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
haris

Post by haris »

hy
i can send you cutting or rotted plants of ficus indica as much as you want
velacreations

Post by velacreations »

ficus indica is not cold hardy at all. Even a light frost will kill the pads. If you grow that one, you have to do it inside. It struggles here in zone 8.

humifusa is a better bet for cold hardy, but it has spines.

Opuntia ellisiana is spineless, and relatively cold hardy, down to Zone 6, I think.