Cactusplaza.com: good or not?

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
Ksenija87

Cactusplaza.com: good or not?

Post by Ksenija87 »

Hi guys,

these days I'm wondering to get some new cacti to increase my collection. Some species I'd like to get are sadly not available in my region or, some of them, in Italy itself. So I scooped around and found this website: cactusplaza.com. For Europe, they ship from Holland. But since the shipping prize is for me very expensive (around 20 €) and I have no clue ( :-k ) if the seeds germinate or not, here I am asking you if someone has already got experience with the website and how it was.

Thanks a lot!

Francesca
Aiko

Re: Cactusplaza.com: good or not?

Post by Aiko »

You are after seeds only? Postage within EU for seeds makes 20 euro very excessive. For plants I would consider it normal. For seeds I - for example - can send them around for only 1.15 euro worldwide (that's only for the stamp, I always reuse the bubble wrapped envelopes).

If you are after seeds only, keep an eye on this thread: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... ts#p316531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some seed sellers have already updated their seed lists, many others will do so in the coming weeks / months. And none of them will charge more than about 7 euro for postage internationally. Some even much lower (like the Bercht and the ADBLPS seed list, about the same price as I would charge for sending free seeds worldwide).
Ksenija87

Post by Ksenija87 »

Thanks Aiko, I'm mostly on seeds, except for a plant of Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus, but there it's sold at 9€ and it's 1,5 cm or 2 width. So: a nothing. And for 19,95€ shipping. Ouch.
Cool, I'll jump to the list :) My bests!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Ksenija87 wrote:Thanks Aiko, I'm mostly on seeds, except for a plant of Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus, but there it's sold at 9€ and it's 1,5 cm or 2 width. So: a nothing. And for 19,95€ shipping. Ouch.
Cool, I'll jump to the list :) My bests!
I could probably send you some little T. pseudopectinatus seedlings, if you want some. They can be send in an envelope. But are only one or two years old, so still the size of a pea.
Ksenija87

Post by Ksenija87 »

That's very kind of you, though I can wait for the coming year. I honestly don't know how would I keep them till spring.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Use this winter to order some seeds. They are easy to find at almost all seed lists, and not expensive. And you will end up with multiple plants if you are lucky enough. Then you will have some nice self sown ones in a few years, and in the mean time you can keep on looking for a bigger one.
Ksenija87

Post by Ksenija87 »

I ordered yesterday on the czech website you told me, and they look like really professional.
There should be a specific way to store the seeds for the spring or can I just do like what we normally made for other seeds (like tomatoes: we just put them in a jar of glass when they are dry, on a shelf not exposed to sunlight and round 15 °C)?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Not a problem. Some freeze it, or put it in a refridgerator. I always just store it on a shelve in my unheated hall way until spring. The seeds I just keep in the same envelopes / boxes it came in.
Ksenija87

Post by Ksenija87 »

Thanks Aiko :)