The Genus Haworthia (Liliaceae): A Taxonomic Revision by Cha

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
littlebluefish

The Genus Haworthia (Liliaceae): A Taxonomic Revision by Cha

Post by littlebluefish »

Has anyone read this book do they own a copy. Can you tell me a little about it please.
thank you

too my knowledge haworthia are not a lily and I am confused by the title.....

they are a branch of the aloe family... so HELP! please and thank you

LBF
majcka

Re: The Genus Haworthia (Liliaceae): A Taxonomic Revision by

Post by majcka »

If I understand things right a family Xanthorrhoeaceae (where subfamily Asphodeloideae with Aloe stands) was previously in famila Liliaceae or something like that. ](*,)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi,

Yes, but this was some 50 years ago! Liliaceae used to be a paraphyletic monster bucket. I always have a good laugh when I see even now in botanical gardens plates indicating that Aloe for example belongs to Liliaceae... there are at least a dozen of plant families that have been segregated since...

Cheers,
Eduart
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

There forum has limits on how much you can discuss about plant relationships, but I'll say what I can. When you look very closely at the flowers of Haworthia you will see that in many ways they look a lot like miniature Lily flowers. Therefore botanists had long classified them together in the same plant family, along with a heck of a lot of other flowers of all types. That book was written back in 1985 and at that time that was the way it was classified. Modern research has shown they aren't as closely related as we used to think and they are no longer in the Lily family. So if the book was written today it would say Xanthorroheaceae.

Unless you are really into plant taxonomy I wouldn't worry about it. That book covers Haworthia only so it doesn't matter what family he puts it in for the sake of that book. Now some bad news, the days of Haworthia as we know it (and as shown in that book) are numbered. I expect that within the next few years it will be split into two different genera at least.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
littlebluefish

Post by littlebluefish »

Thank you for the feedback. I understand it a better now. I am in the middle of putting together a book and researching others on the subject is just one aspect I needed to cover...

I don't have much interest in taxol... of plants beyond a general knowledge so I don't feel too stupid talking to thou's that give it much more thought than I care too... LOL

I agree seeing plants labeled wrong in public gardens is funny and frustrating..

oh i have one major pet peeve along this line.. people calling daylily .. tigerlily.. LOL

ok now you know im a plant nerd...
LBF