Just found a GREAT book!

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
pokey1

Just found a GREAT book!

Post by pokey1 »

Hi!
I have only been collecting cacti for about 2 years, and have purchased more than a few books on how to keep them healthy. Most, unfortunately, have only had photos for identification, with very little info. on the nuances and cultivation of these addicting little creatures. I just bought a (used) book which I have found invaluable for newbs like myself. It has detailed photos and information about grafting, growing from seed, even a month by month breakdown of how you should take care of them. Not even sure if it is even in print anymore, (it was translated from German in 1988). It is "Cactus" by Elisabeth Manke. Two enthusiastic thumbs up! Hope this helps anyone! Joseph
Proud papa to 25 Genus and 78 species of these prickly devils.
eduart

Re: Just found a GREAT book!

Post by eduart »

Hi,

The problem with the specific cultivation advice is that… it is mostly useless! OK, trying to understand the plants, their biology, their ecological needs, cultivation tricks, etc. helps a lot. The big gain is that it makes you think and apply few principles (assuming you understood them correctly) according to the climatic conditions of your area. But rarely by applying cultivation advices like in summer you water every second week success is guaranteed. Month by month cultivation calendars are not universal. You might produce few good looking plants, but rarely real show stoppers. And you will certainly kill a lot of plants until you form your own set of cultivation rules. You can’t apply ad litteram cultivation advice given by a German living at the North Sea when you live in Tucson, Arizona for example, and vice versa. When I moved from Romania to New Zealand 11 years ago I had basically to start from scratch as nothing has properly worked in the new climatic conditions. Books can give you maybe a hint on cultivation, but best advice comes from experienced local growers (if you want to jump-start).

Cheers,
Eduart
BobbyZ

Many GREAT books

Post by BobbyZ »

I have become a bookaholic trying to find great deals on used cacti books on amazon, thrift shops and whatever. Here are some I love: The illustrated encyclopedia of succulents and cacti by Gordon Rowley, is a great intro to the biology of the families of succulents, it is not a detailed guide but gives their biology, anatomy and ecology. Cacti by Nico Vereulen, is a nice trip through the ecology of South and North America and the niches that are their habitat (wonderful pictures). I initially purchased 500 cacti by Ken Preston-Mafham and loved his photography, I had to follow uo with Cacti the illustrated dictionary, his travels through Bolivia, the SW US and S. Sfrica are documented in text an photography in Cacti and succulents in Habitat. Being retired I am somewhat economical all these above books I purchasaed for anywhere from pennies to $5.00 plus shipping. Happy shopping from an amazon junkie. Florida is a strange place to grow many cacti I have only been seriously into outside cultivation for the past year and keep a small collection for my makeshift solarium in my summer Canadian home I feel like I am learning more on this site for helpful hints Bobby Z
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I also like Manke's book.
BobbyZ

Post by BobbyZ »

Hey two good reccomendations Found it cheap on Amazon click it bought it.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There was a book "Grow Cacti" by C. Marsden (1955) that recommended 25 different compost mixes for growing different species of cacti! Most collectors now realise you can grow 90% of cacti, or even Other Succulents in your standard compost mix with similar watering regimes, except for epiphytes and those Other Succulents that grow in winter. Recommendations need to be modified for your conditions and every greenhouse has a different microclimate, as do different areas within that greenhouse, or even in your house, so some plants grow better in one place than another.

Whilst experienced growers should not confuse beginners with too complicated advice, you can be too simplistic also. I remember being at a lecture at our cactus society given by a chap called McDonald who used to be in charge of the cactus houses and collections at Kew Gardens in the UK. He said he was asked by a lady "how often should I water my cacti?" He told her it depended on the compost and temperature how fast they dried out in order not to keep them permanently damp and to reduce watering or dry them off in winter depending on how warm a temperature they were kept in. All sound advice.

She thanked him, but later he overheard her asking one of the student gardeners the same thing. The student told her "once a fortnight and once a month in winter" she said "Thank you, it's nice to find somebody who knows their subject, I asked the man over there but it's obvious he did not know!". :lol:

The longer you collect the more you learn things are not as simplistic as you first thought and all advice needs modifying for your conditions as Eduart says.