New Cactus Lexicon

Share information on Cacti Books, Websites, Periodicals, etc.
RichR

New Cactus Lexicon

Post by RichR »

Does anyone know why this "once in a century' compendium is out of print only five years after its publication? Was it that unpopular? Too expensive?
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

It was privately published so I suppose the risk of printing more than there might be demand for limited the run. There are plans for a second edition in the medium term (originally it was going to be a supplement/update but I believe that's changed). If you really really want it, their website says there are still a few copies left: http://www.newcactuslexicon.org/
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Exactly. This was a relatively expensive book to print due in large part to the image-packed picture atlas.

So only one print run (I think around 500?) was done. I know David Hunt has several changes he'd like to incorporate before doing a second run. In other words, he doesn't want to reprint it just as it is, which would only be a matter of paying the printer.

Like Phil said, he was only going to do the text, but now might just do a complete second edition. The ultimate obstacle being time to do the work.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
erodgers1946

Re: New Cactus Lexicon

Post by erodgers1946 »

Hi
I am thinking of buying this book if still available but it is pricy especially to have it posted to Australia so would you still feel it is worthwhile or would you wait for the new edition?? :?:

Regards
Eileen
lancslassinOZ
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Eileen,
Well shipping to Australia is going to be expensive on both. My advice would be buy one if you can. David Hunt is not certain on a reprint or if it will just be the text updated and not the atlas - or even if a reprint would even be done at all. So I'd grab one while you can find them.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
erodgers1946

Post by erodgers1946 »

Thanks Daiv
I will e-mail David Hunt for an update if the book is still available and the price of course.
Regards
Eileen
lancslassinOZ
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

As Daiv says current thinking is that only the text volume will be reprinted, but the new text volume would contain pictures of species described since the original work was published. However until anything is printed nobody really knows what form it will take, or if the old pictures volume would be reprinted alongside the revised text volume.

As it was a new and expensive work Rich, neither David Hunt or Graham Charles knew how it would sell. Therefore they printed what they could afford as a first run and I think they were surprised just how quick it sold out. Many of the alterations and updates appear beforehand in David Hunt's Cactaceae Systematics Initiatives, just as they did for the original New Cactus Lexicon:-

http://www.newcactuslexicon.org/other_titles/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RichR

Post by RichR »

Okay, Dave, I appreciate the info. Mery Christmas to you!