New Member from Michigan!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Badgerroots

New Member from Michigan!

Post by Badgerroots »

Hello all from the Midwest!

I am a botany student currently residing in the beautiful western coast of Michigan. I have recently re-discovered my love of cacti, after avoiding them for a while following an unfortunate encounter with some wild Oputinia Humifisa. The love was re-kindled when I found out that not all cacti have the 'evil' nearly invisible glochids.

I also enjoy other strange plants - most succulents, carnivorous plants, Mimosa Pudica, and Codariocalyx motorius, to name a few.
I hope to turn my interest in plants into a small business opportunity in my area to help me fund this wonderful hobby. To do that, I want to learn as much as I can about IDing and care of cacti; so I look forward to a lot of reading, asking a lot of questions,, and making a lot of new connections here!
hegar

Re: New Member from Michigan!

Post by hegar »

Well, even when working with cacti, most of us have had some encounter with their spines or glochids. At least, the O. humifusa did not have large, barbed spines like the Cylindropuntia (cholla) plants, although glochids are almost invisible, but you certainly do feel them when touching anything.
However, there are also some very user friendly cacti, without spines, pectinate spines, or just very tiny spines.
Do you have a greenhouse in Michigan to grow these plants or ist a lot of windowsill space facing south available at your residence?
Well, there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, who are willing to help you be successful with your newly rediscovered hobby.

Harald
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Badgerroots

Post by Badgerroots »

@Hegar -
Oh yeah, my hand was covered with them, and I am an artist so it wasn't fun. It took weeks to get rid of those suckers, too! I don't plan on being poke-free when working with cacti, but I am definitely a lot more cautious now! I found one that feels a bit like a toothbrush when handled (it's my avatar ATM), she is by far my favorite.

Right now I have a small shelf greenhouse on the porch, but we are planning on building a 20x20 heated greenhouse. Plus I have a large closet converted into a grow area for when I bring my personal collection in for the winter. It is equipped with what I believe is called a 'cool tube', vortex intake fan, dehumidifier, and ballast.

@gemhunter178 -
Thank you! :)