Hello - from Norway

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
HeidiL

Hello - from Norway

Post by HeidiL »

Hello.

Introducing myself, as my mom used to tell me I always should do. :D

I am Heidi, live in Norway. I love cacti and succulents, but I cannot have an outdoor garden filled with cacti in the soil. I can take some of them outside when the heat is here, but not all of the summer. They would probably rot in the periods of rain and moist.

I am wondering, has anyone of you made a catalogue of your plants? And if you have - what program did you use - and can you recommend that? I am looking for a program where I can add photos and information, and work with it for years as the plants grow. Such as when I repot, give them nutrition, take seedlings, when they flower and so on.

Thanks in advance

Heidi in Fredrikstad
Norway
toadstar

Re: Hello - from Norway

Post by toadstar »

Hello! I haven't used it but a user was developing such a thing in this thread here:. http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32197

and here's the website: http://andrewnicolle.com/introducing-ca ... bum-for-pc
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Welcome to Cactiguide.

What you're talking about is keeping a database of your cacti. There are many database management programs, though they're generally aimed at business use and many are more complex than you need (such as Microsoft Access, that comes with Office). There are free ones, Libre Office and Open Office include one called Base that's a little simpler, and there's SQLite, which is very popular. Any of those would take some time to learn, and a lot of configuration, the app toadstar linked to is probably easier.
Spence :mrgreen:
HeidiL

Post by HeidiL »

Thanks to all who has answered.

I bought the database program that Toadstar linked to. It will be interesting to test it when i come home. I have both windows office and Libre Office on mye computers, ( I prefer Libre Office) , but I have never made or used a database. It is more convenient to buy the program then.

Heidi