Hi from NY!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
JungleMel

Hi from NY!

Post by JungleMel »

Hi all!
I've been growing orchids and carnivorous plants for about 5 years now but just started with cacti and succulents about a year ago. I'm growing in New York state, a little ways north of the city. I have mostly Gymnocalycium, Lithops and Stapeliads right now, but am working on expanding that! This forum as fantastic, I really wish I has found it sooner! I'll probably be lurking more than posting as I'm still reading through all the information that's already been discussed here. I've only gotten serious about growing cacti recently, one flower on my G. anisitsii and I'm hooked. :lol:
majcka

Re: Hi from NY!

Post by majcka »

Have fun.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

jnspire

Post by jnspire »

Welcome!
You are right, this is a really great 'place' with tons of info.

Good to have you here. Enjoy!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi Mel - a hardy welcome from me too. You'll find that several members here also grow CP's and Orchids.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Hello and welcome from a sort of close member!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
JungleMel

Post by JungleMel »

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! I look forward to learning from you all.

@daiv Yes, there's a lot of crossover with plant growers! It seems like one thing leads to another. I've always liked cacti, but I guess was preoccupied with other things and honestly didn't realize I could grow them well here.

@gemhunter 178 You are pretty close, not sure how similar your conditions are, but it's gotta be close. I think the most trouble I'm having is figuring out what to put where as far as how much light, and when stuff can go outside or needs to come in.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

welcome!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Welcome, Mel! I'm from just south of Rochester & there a several active New Englanders & northern Europeans that have gone thru/still are, the trials & tribulations of our climates - long dim winters, damp/rain, etc. But there are lots of cacti that can successfully be grown outdoors & certainly indoors! Much, much experience & knowledge -- that still gets weather challenged :roll:!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
JungleMel

Post by JungleMel »

Thanks for the welcome hoteidoc! I'm in a similar zone to yours so I'd be interested in what your growing and where. Do you grow most of your collection indoors over the winter, or do you grow more cold tolerant species?
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Hey, Mel - I recently hit the 100 species mark, so at the "who's counting" point now (wasn't a goal - just addictive behavior :D)! Succulents @ 1/4 of that. Most the indoor plants were before I discovered (this past Spring) the fairly large # of cold-hardy plants that can be grown in Zone 6b. Have a dozen or so of CH standards -- Echinocer's, Escob's, Opuntia's. Of course, plans of trying to "push the envelope" with a few along south foundation of house & other select micro-environs. Have 5 species of CH's in propagator since Jan. 5 + 3 Opuntia's that haven't germinated yet :roll: Next run (in 2 - 3 of weeks depending on some steady warmth to move the seedlings out onto glassed-in porch) will include 7 CH cacti & 8 succulents - Agaves, Yucca, Delopsperma & few "strays". Also getting into Haworthia's (this Winter's run) because many of them do well in dim light/upstate Winters :D. Expanding epiphytes collection,too -- various colors of Schlumberger, Epiphyllums, Disocactus. Schlubergera did great with north & east bedroom windows @ 45- 50f much of the time -- long flowering time d/t "cool" temps :D . So that's a "thumbnail".
Again, several other active New Englanders doing much of the same thing, so welcome aboard 8)
Peter
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Mel,
I too want to welcome you to the cactus and succulent forum. I am origially from northern Germany, with a climate similar to the one you have. There we had to place the true desert cacti in a sunny window (southern exposure) and hope for the best. On the other hand, "jungle cacti" like Epiphyllum spp. Schlumbergera spp., and similar leafy types of cacti were easily grown and flowered profusely. Also, both my mother and sister have absolutely no problem growing orchids.
Here, where I am now, I do have problems with too much light and an overly dry climate. I had to learn, that it is extremely unwise to place a good number of genera out into the open. The sun will cook them within a few hours!
I do grow all my plants outdoors and have also salvaged native cacti in places where the terrain was going to be leveled for construction of schools, housing, etc.. I found out, that even "the natives" do not grow best in full sun, but the nicest plants can be found protected by large rocks or other plants, like creosote bushes.
You stated, that you do have Gymnocalycium spp. plants. I only do have two, one is a G. baldianum and the other a G. bruchii. The G. baldianum is extremely easy to grow in filtered shade and does have showy red blossoms.
Most likely you do have that one in your collection, because it is such a common plant. I do like that genus and intend to obtain a few more plants, so I can have more species.
Well, it is nice for you to decide to join our forum and I hope, that you will benefit from our input.

Harald
JungleMel

Post by JungleMel »

Hi Harald!
Thanks for the welcome and all the information. I am going to have to search for a place to put the cacti outside this summer as I only have 1/2 day am or pm sun or all day sun, no dappled shade. Keeping them inside last year wasn't optimal, I only have 2 blooming out of maybe 10. I don't have a Gymno baldianum yet, but have been keeping my eye open as I do really like it. I can imagine trying to grow things in Germany and Texas require wildly different culture! I found out recently I'll be moving as well, so the cacti will only have to deal with NY for less than another year and then I'll have a similar problem of trying to figure out how to grow them all over again!