The Cactus and the Boy

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
BeauRog

The Cactus and the Boy

Post by BeauRog »

Gather ‘round while I tell a tale of woe. A tale of adventure and daring, of sacrifice and loss. The tale of the cactus and the boy.

Long ago in a foreign land, a young soldier wandered into the local market. As he wandered through the aisles, perusing the merchants’ wares, he happened upon a plant most unusual. This was a plant he had only heard of in the tales of bards. And yet, here it was sitting upon a shelf. Its dark green flesh was covered in golden spines. The other patrons passed by, some giving the strange plant a look of disapproval, but not the boy. He was enthralled. He knew he must have the plant for his own.

He hastily grabbed the plant and made his to the front. “Merchant, I must know the cost of this fine specimen here.”
“Drei Euros,” she said between the smacking sounds of her bubble gum.
He fumbled out three euro coins, hardly containing his excitement. He rushed back to his barracks, where he placed his new cactus on the windowsill and lovingly gave it a drink of water.

The cactus and the boy became best friends. They would watch movies and play games together. They would sit on the balcony and drink beer and watch the stars until the wee hours of the morning. Sometimes the boy would have to go away for a week or two at a time. Always the cactus was there, loyally waiting for his return.

One time the boy had to go away for a long time. He left his cactus in the care of a trusted friend with strict instructions to only water once a week. When the young man returned, the cactus had grown so much he hardly recognized him. His head was crested with golden flowers. Once they were together it was as if they were only apart for a day.

It was around this time the cactus noticed things started to change. The boy was absent more, and he spent more time on the phone. He was courting a young lass from his home town. They also moved at this time. They moved to the land of Texas. The cactus couldn’t be happier, the sun shone all day and it was gloriously hot.

Early the next year, the boy married his sweetheart. The boy, his wife, and the cactus all moved in together. But with the girl came… The Cat. He was jet black with orange eyes that glowed in the dark. The cactus knew he was no good the moment he laid eyes upon him. The first night went well. The next morning the boy and the girl sat for breakfast. The cactus sat on the windowsill drinking up the morning sun. But something wasn’t right. He could feel the beady eyes of cat watching him from the corner. That night the cat made his move. To this day the boy still doesn’t’ know how the cat did it, but when he awoke in the morning; his loyal friend was no more. Consumed by the cat, he was nothing more than roots. The boy was heartbroken.

It would be many years until he could even look at another cactus without tears welling up in his eyes. Until one fateful day many years later, one of his children came up to him and said, “Daddy, what do you want for father’s day?” The boy, now grown into a man, knew it was time. He said only two words, “A cactus.” Later that week, on father’s day, the man received his gift: a "grow your own cactus kit" with the seeds of none other than the Golden Barrel cactus. He could feel his friend smiling down on him from cactus heaven as he planted the seeds to the sound of the children's' laughter.

Cliff Notes: I bought my first cactus while I was living in Germany. I don't remember the species, but I'm pretty sure it was a Echinocactus grusonii. I got married and my wife's cat ate the cactus. How the cat managed to get passed the spines I still, to this day, have no idea. More than 8 years later, for father's day I got a grow your own cactus kit with golden barrel cactus seeds.

This gave me the bug. I have since bought 4 more cacti. I currently have them at work, where they sit under a florescent light for 16 hours a day. I'm building a miniature greenhouse so I can bring them home because I don't think they are getting enough light.

I hope you enjoyed the story.

Beau

EDIT: I did take some artistic license with this story. I never had the cactus bloom.
TexasPricklyPiglet

Re: The Cactus and the Boy

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

I LOVE LOVE LOVED the story. As I was reading this I looked out my window to see my own tiny little ball of a golden barrel cactus. I'm going to take good care of her. I'm surprised the cat got to the cactus as well, or even that a cat would want to eat a cactus. That's just so strange. How are you seeds doing? Has anything germinated yet?

Also: Vielen Dank fuer die Geschichte! Es war so gut! (I'm learning German)

Welcome Beau, I hope to see you around the forum more. :D
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
BeauRog

Post by BeauRog »

I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I had 2 out of 6 seeds sprout. I planted them before I knew what I was doing (not that I really know what I'm doing now), so they are growing in peat. Hopefully that won't become a problem. They do seem happy enough in their baggie add of now.
20140715_155020.jpg
20140715_155020.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
TexasPricklyPiglet

They're looking good! None of mine have germinated yet, so you're miles ahead of me. Good work!
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
globose

Post by globose »

Oh, poor cactus! I'm glad my cat has her own catnip plant to keep her busy.
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hey, welcome, let us know if these 2 survive! ;)
Bruno
BeauRog

Post by BeauRog »

So far so good. I can see the beginnings of their spines poking up. The only problem I see for them in the near future is that the " plastic" container is biodegradable and it's starting to break down inside the bag.

My wife pointed out that I didn't give all that much information about myself besides the story of my first cactus. I'm 29 married, with 3 girls: 5, 3, 2. I'm a programmer for a retail company. I'm not just interested in cacti and succulents, I like any thing green, especially yummy things grown sustainably and permaculturely. Hit me up if you want to talk about computers, C & S, or maybe even my delicious smelling compost garden :toothy4:.

Here is a picture of the cactus eater.
Don't let him fool you. He just looks harmless.
Don't let him fool you. He just looks harmless.
2014-08-04 12.44.41.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
TexasPricklyPiglet

How adorable! I still can't fathom that cat intentionally eating a cactus. They don't look all that eat-worthy. I'm sure his cat food would do just fine! I'm also interested in growing delicious things. Right now I'm growing pumpkins and jalapenos. When I get some jalapenos, I'm going to make sausage and cream cheese stuffed jalapeno halves. It's going to be fantastic! What foods are you growing?
Image Image Image

<3 Trade with me? <3
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

My cat ate a big seedling once, strange...
Bruno
wbruan

Post by wbruan »

I really loved the story!!! Well done :-) but why on Earth would cats go for cacti!?
cefalophone

Post by cefalophone »

Wonderful story.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Awww, my menopause is kicking in, i almost cried :(
That's the cutest cacti eater I've ever seen..exception are my 3 adorable killer kitties
Ihope your cacti grow big and beautiful and you'll enjoy great times together
<3