hello from the Great Pacific Northwest

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
cwalke41

hello from the Great Pacific Northwest

Post by cwalke41 »

am a diehard cacti fan and have been for years though my husband doesn't understand the attraction :wink: I am just starting to move my 30+ plants to the greenhouse for a cool spring. I also grow epis.
I am looking forward to learning more about cactus from these forums...looks like a lot of great info and resources and people here!
Apropos of nothing I was in Home Depot today and looked at their little cactus and succulents and to my horror, they were selling spray painted echeverias and the like...hot pink, copper, etc. Why do people do this? :idea:
Saxicola

Re: hello from the Great Pacific Northwest

Post by Saxicola »

Welcome! So HD is doing that again huh? I saw the same thing last year, but hadn't seen it since that one time. I had hoped they did so poorly that they wouldn't try it again. Guess I was wrong.

http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28496" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
notacactus

Post by notacactus »

Hey! Welcome! : ) I've seen those spray painted succulents at wal mart... made me sad, really. :(
majcka

Post by majcka »

Hi there. I wish you wellcome here.

And yes. Spray painted echeverias for several years and now I have seen spray painted cacti too. They say that don't hurt cacti, becouse a paint isnt poisoness. I wonder....

Well I had an echeveria like that. It growed through it and feel fine now. Thank goodness.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!

I've seen those painted ones before...sad to say it was the all the other trays had more plants left.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Welcome, cwalk! What side of the mountains are you on? I'm guessing east, since "cactus-wise" it would be a lot more challenging if on the west/coastal.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
cwalke41

Post by cwalke41 »

actually I am in SW Washington, about 50 miles above Portland. Used to live in Eastern WA and it IS perfect for cactus. here, they require a bit more babying but have done ok. they have a cool unused room in winter and greenhouse and great outdoors through the spring and summer
Brunãozinho

Post by Brunãozinho »

Hi and Welcome! Oh, too bad that the painted plants are everywhere!!
Bruno
globose

Post by globose »

I'm from Seattle and I just saw the same awful thing. Spray painted or glued with those hideous straw flowers and often partially rotted or disturbingly pale. I managed to find a nice one with lots of little branches and minimal damage from the hot glue and nice healthy roots.