Cutivating small growing tropical cacti

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jp29

Cutivating small growing tropical cacti

Post by jp29 »

Please visit my revised web page at:

http://jp29.org/cultwp.htm
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
DesertSun

Re: Cutivating small growing tropical cacti

Post by DesertSun »

Hello and thanks for sharing! I love your cacti setting and displays! It seems very practical and efficient!
What zone is Tucson Arizona, as I found your note on not growing cacti that need cold overwintering useful, I could follow that. But couldn't you leave them dry and overwinter them anyway, or is it an absolute they require cold? Sorry, I'm a newbie. Also, I found interesting that you use pine bark in the soil mix, doesn't it retain moisture?
Thanks, Marina.
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb
jp29

Post by jp29 »

DesertSun wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:53 am Hello and thanks for sharing! I love your cacti setting and displays! It seems very practical and efficient!
What zone is Tucson Arizona, as I found your note on not growing cacti that need cold overwintering useful ..........
Hi Marina. Tucson is in USDA zone 9.
......... But couldn't you leave them dry and overwinter them anyway, or is it an absolute they require cold? ..........
I don’t quite follow you there. Most cacti require a cool/cold winter rest period with sparse, or very little watering. My plants do not experience cold weather during their dormant season = their habitat is very dry but quite warm (never any frost) during that time however.
.......... Also, I found interesting that you use pine bark in the soil mix, doesn't it retain moisture? ..........
Yes it does, Marina, just the right amount for my plants in their growing environment. Of course that may not work for your plants in your growing environment - something that always must be considered when evaluating cultivational information supplied by others — It is important that you follow your own path in cultivating your plants based on your own physical capabilities, the requirements of the plants that you grow, your growing environment, your climate, and the type of containers you use.
Last edited by jp29 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
My cactus cultivation pages:
https://jp29.org/cactuscult.htm Image
DesertSun

Post by DesertSun »

Oh, I get it! Thank you very much for your answer! So we have about the same environmental conditions. Glad to know your soil mix works so well for your plants! Very nice collection! :)
"The best fertilizer is the gardener's own shadow"
Chinese proverb