Did I hear right-Cat litter?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
7george

Re: Did I hear right-Cat litter?

Post by 7george »

Beautiful spination! Are these 2 fused flowers?
Don't know, maybe just one squeezed by spines.
stefan m. wrote:Question- Zeolite? i hear its non clumping and i think we have that?
Zeolite is good, I use it instead of sand in the mixes. About a third part or so. Sold in garden centers.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Sold in garden centers.

Yeahh the best you can find here is orchid bark and peat with coir and perlite and whatnot. Will look up zeolite cat litter again though.
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Questio- is sifted sand going to do the trick)(larger and a milliliter particles?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

[-X
stefan m. wrote:Questio- is sifted sand going to do the trick)(larger and a milliliter particles?
Pass it through a window screen. Anything that stays is good. The rest is too fine
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Would a thin construction net or something similar do the job? Because i know where i can find one of those...
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

stefan m. wrote:Would a thin construction net or something similar do the job? Because i know where i can find one of those...
Yes a construction net or a shade cloth will do. You can even swirl a batch in a bucket half filled with water and dump the water fast taking away all fines.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
stefan m.

Post by stefan m. »

Construction net it is. Have several stores selling it nearby.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

A flour sifter or sieve from your local store that sells cooking equipment will also do.
CactusWhisperer

Post by CactusWhisperer »

Where can I find Molar Clay Cat litter in the U.S. Most of the ingredients on the back of the packages are kind of vague ](*,)
Growing cold hardy cacti in Florida!!
=D>
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Molar clay or diatomaceous earth is used in some cat litters or in materials used for soaking up oil spills. However not all cat litters use it since some are just shredded paper and some the "clumping" variety that use a white fullers earth type clay. Therefore make sure you get the correct type and not just any cat litter. It is the hard baked clay like red/brown material you want.

https://www.skamol.com/about/production ... -diatomite

http://www.srgc.org.uk/wisley/2008/100908/log.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=UwyS ... iHUqe6XYnQ

I would suggest people look on their own EBAY to see what's available as diatomaceous earth or molar clay cat litter, or Google "Molar Clay Cat Litter" or "Diatomaceous Earth Cat Litter". There was a Bonsai site that used to list the suitable products available in most countries, however as our favorite UK one Tesco's Premium Cat Litter has now been withdrawn it has been taken temporarily off the Web. However those in the UK can still get Sophisticat, but the granules are somewhat larger.

http://desertplantsofavalon.com/tag/tes ... or-bonsai/