Winter Greenhouse Questions

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
foxy.ginger

Winter Greenhouse Questions

Post by foxy.ginger »

I'm working in my school's greenhouse taking care of the succulent collection. This is my first winter on the job, and I'm wondering what to do about dormancy - the temp is kept pretty regular year-round but of course photoperiod is getting shorter so the plants know it's winter. Should I assume that all true cacti should go dormant in the winter? How long should I stop watering them for, and is there an exact time to "wake them up again"? Should I do it based on photoperiod since temp doesn't change significantly? Should we be changing the temperature significantly?

I also am in charge of a couple caudiciforms and euphorbs that I know nothing about. The caudiciforms require a dormancy period as well I believe? Should I keep watering the euphorbs through the winter like I plan to water some of the softer succulents (mostly crassulaceans) or do they want a period of dry?

If you have any other tips on optimal cactus greenhouse settings that would be really appreciated as well. We just moved into a brand new, state of the art greenhouse for the first time this semester and there is a lot to learn! Thanks in advance!
stefan m.

Re: Winter Greenhouse Questions

Post by stefan m. »

Look up https://www.youtube.com/user/heartfullofhappiness
In a nutshell, euphorbias need to be kept hot and stuff. She well explain most of what you need.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

It would help if you let us know where you are based - general advice for a greenhouse in Alaska would be different to that for a greenhouse in the south of France.
foxy.ginger wrote: the temp is kept pretty regular year-round
Are you sure about this? Greenhouses normally get loads hotter in summer due to the sun, but heating a large glass box often isn't especially effective at keeping temps up over winter, especially for plants close to the glass.
If you can give us a feel for actual temperatures it would be helpful. In general cacti will go dormant when it is cool / cold, but different cacti will have differing minimum temperature tolerances.
Caudiciforms generally rest when it is cool, but a few may rest in summer, do you know the species?
Generally, Euphorbias cope with a cool, dry winter, but it varies from species to species (Euphorbia is an extremely diverse group of plants). Some more tropical species need a warm winter, on the other hand, quite a few from southern or northern Africa will cope with a few degrees of frost if dry.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
kuni1234567

Post by kuni1234567 »

I used to have a small greenhouse for tropical succulents that needed winter temperatures greater than 60F. I realize that the problem with greenhouses is high humidity and low air circulation. I also grew succulents indoors under grow lights and the problem is lack of flowering due to constant temperatures. I now grow plants outside or under a covered patio and do not use a greenhouse. I believe that someone could build a greenhouse with additional lighting, humidity control and great air circulation and grow nearly any type of plant in very cold conditions. The main problem is the cost of maintaining the greenhouse.