Wet Plants

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
AnalogDog

Wet Plants

Post by AnalogDog »

My cacti winter outside on the deck under a small greenhouse of PVC and polyethelene. There has been leakage, but the water seemed to be confined to the floor. Now I have found some wet soil to the top of the pots. I have heard about not letting them get wet, but what do I do when they are wet?
DaveW

Re: Wet Plants

Post by DaveW »

A lot depends on your climate as to how warm it is, how wet they are, so how quick they will dry?

In the UK the old gardeners saying used to be "when in doubt turn them out", meaning if they look sickly or not thriving unpot them and see what's the matter. However you know what's the matter, therefore if they are really soaking just unpot them and remove the soil and leave them dry root for a few days, then repot in dry soil and don't water again until the growing season. At least that is what I would do in the UK, but somebody knowing your climate may have a better idea?
AnalogDog

Post by AnalogDog »

I was thinking along those lines. Interesting how you say talk to someone in your climate. I think we share a climate as I live just north of Seattle, and we dont have a monopoly on clouds and rain. But thanks for your comments, I will do just that.
toson

Post by toson »

if the pots wet we need good ventilation by using dehumidifier or fan.