Cactus root help

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
duckworth

Cactus root help

Post by duckworth »

Hello everyone! :)

Can anyone give advice on cactus roots? I have a cactus that was repotted a while ago and it's finally rooted nicely and is firm in the pot. However, is been pushed around twice by the cat, and now it's quite loose. Not completely loose, but it's easy to move back and forth slightly.

Will this damage it's received affect the plant and how it grows?

Thanks very much for the help!
brixtertabun

Re: Cactus root help

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

I have had a similar problem. Early last year I bought a Notocactus submammulosus from a store. It was growing in peat so I decided to report it in cactus compost. I was getting the wet peat from the roots when the whole rootball came away leaving a bare plant. I let it dry for 2 weeks then planted it in a dry gritty mix & left it for a further 2 weeks. Then I sat the pot in a shallow bowl of water so that the bottom of the compost took a little water up. I then waited again for several weeks & carefully took the cactus out of the soil & examined it. It had grown a cluster of roots down towards the damp compost & was perfectly healthy. I reported it & again watered it from below. It rewarded me by flowering later that year. Hope that helps.
7george

Post by 7george »

Well, if that thing happened during the rest period and the soil was dry, there is nothing to worry about. It will recover with time till spring if you live in the northern globe. But if the cats continue wandering the problem persists and I have no solution for you. :-k

P.S. You can put some rocks or other support around to stabilize that plant.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8