When to repot opuntia seedlings?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ggez

When to repot opuntia seedlings?

Post by ggez »

I'm growing these prickly pear from a fruit that I got at a supermarket. I'm not sure what to do with them at this point. Some have 1.5" long thin pads. Do I just keep letting it grow on its stem and eventually fall over? Do I repot them and push the pad into the dirt and hope it roots? Thanks for the advice.

Aiko

Re: When to repot opuntia seedlings?

Post by Aiko »

I don't have much experience growing Opuntia from seeds. I do have two plants I grew from seed in 2003, but can't recall they were ever as wobbly as yours. I suspect they have etiolated, a result of too little light intensity.

Repotting might help, but the key change would be to increase the light intensity they receive. I would probably put them half way in the soil, for a bit more sturdyness.
7george

Post by 7george »

These are problematic for growing indoors, need lot of light. You can add some soil to the top of containers or repot bigger ones into another pots hiding the skinny part that is below first leaves under that new soil. I prefer transplanting in winter when plants are not active and dry. But if you want to cut and root some of it, best time will be in spring or summer.

I think this is O. ficus-indica. Young plants tend to elongate even outdoors.
Last edited by 7george on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ggez

Post by ggez »

They are under grow lights 16 hr/day, so I dont think that they are etiolated. I suppose I will try repotting and burying them deeper in a few months.