easy caudiciforms

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
cacti and cacti not

easy caudiciforms

Post by cacti and cacti not »

I have been growing cacti since spring 2015. Are there any suggestions for caudiciforms for me to try, particularly easy ones? I already have some non-cactus succulents. I'd like to be able to make a list of plants for me to consider growing. Any suggestions will be appreciated. This is the first post I've made in a year.
cacti and cacti not

Re: easy caudiciforms

Also, I'd like cultivation advice such as light, water, ease of care, growing season, and humidity requirements. I grow most of my plants outside, but I am willing to take half-hardy and non-hardy plants into the garage on a cold winter day.
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

There are many beautiful Adeniums (Desert Roses). There's double and triple flowers, unusual colors and combinations. They're pretty easy to grow. Also, Pachypodiums, like Madagascar Palm, etc. Look these up. Both are easy to grow, inexpensive (except real exotic ones), and available all over.
Also, look up Jatropas, like "Buddha Belly", and others.
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

You could try Dorstenia foetida which have strange inflorescences often called a "shield flower" and are very easy to grow, they don't need a lot of light, mine only get indirect sunlight an they're thriving. They also like more water than the average succulent so the soil shouldn't be allowed to completely dry.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

With a name like foetida certainly not a windowsill plant if it flowers! :lol:

http://www.latin-dictionary.net/definit ... a-foetidum
cacti and cacti not

What about Cyphostemma juttae, C. curroi; operculicarya borealis, pachypus, and hyphaenoides etc. (I have O decaryi), burseras (I have B. fagaroides); dioscera; adenias; pachycormis; commiphora glandulosa; Pyrenacantha malvifolia; uncarina; seyrigia; Pseudobombax ellipticum; and sesamothamnus lugardii? How are they difficulty-wise? I'm willing to try something rare or uncommon if it isn't difficult.
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

Dave...Dorstenia foetidas are small, haven't been able to get close enough to smell. Have flowers like stars, look almost alien. Now...Stapelias, Orbeas, Huernias...they smell bad. 8)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I stick to cacti Williamsii. I don't grow plants where you need to hang a pig up in the greenhouse as an air freshener when they flower! :lol:
williamsii823

Post by williamsii823 »

Some of the Stapeliads flowers are so interesting, that you can overlook the smell. Because you don't have to get too close. And they're not too smelly, anyway. 8)
cacti and cacti not

How easy are uncarinas?
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

cacti and cacti not wrote:What about Cyphostemma juttae, C. curroi; operculicarya borealis, pachypus, and hyphaenoides etc. (I have O decaryi), burseras (I have B. fagaroides); dioscera; adenias; pachycormis; commiphora glandulosa; Pyrenacantha malvifolia; uncarina; seyrigia; Pseudobombax ellipticum; and sesamothamnus lugardii? How are they difficulty-wise? I'm willing to try something rare or uncommon if it isn't difficult.
Cyphostemma juttae is famous for being very difficult to germinate.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Pseudobombax ellipticum is not hard to germinate, and to grow.

Pachycormis is not that hard too, but be a bit aware of too bright sunlight. The leaves will fall off. Once in shade, the leaves will grow back again.

Cyphostemma juttae is indeed not easy to germinate (read: you have to wait a long time for them to germinate, and in the meantime the soil might turn to an algae field), but once germinated it is an easy species to grow. It wants quite some water when not dormant.
cacti and cacti not

Also,is it a bad idea to buy summer growing plants bare-root in the fall and then pot them? Should I wait until another time of year?
cacti and cacti not

I'm thinking of getting one or two plants, likely one of them would be a dorstenia foetida.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

cacti and cacti not wrote:Also,is it a bad idea to buy summer growing plants bare-root in the fall and then pot them? Should I wait until another time of year?
Why would you buy a plant without any roots? No roots is a bad indication, mostly of plants being digged up from their habitat. As less room to bring plants back in a plane is the only reason I can think of, of removing roots.