Cactus on a thin leg

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.

Cactus on the leg not withstanding the weight - what to do with it?

plant the cactus deeper, so as to cover the leg
14%
cut the leg, dry the wound and re-root the cactus
71%
alternative option (write in the comment)
14%

Total votes: 7
mariuszli

Cactus on a thin leg

Post by mariuszli »

I have high (about 45 cm above the ground) about 20 years old cacti echinopsis oxygona on a thin leg (about 6 cm in height, 4 cm in diameter) which currently does not withstand the weight of the cactus. The whole cactus is unstable.

I am considering two options:
  1. Planting the cactus deeper, so as to cover the leg,
  2. cut the leg, dry the wound and re-root the cactus.
I would have to plant a cactus about 10 cm deeper than I am now. By cutting the leg I don't know if the cactus re-root and will be stable in the pot.

What do you advise to do in this situation?
Attachments
IMG_20170805_153230_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170805_153230_HDR.jpg (143.96 KiB) Viewed 741 times
IMG_20170805_153326_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170805_153326_HDR.jpg (85.06 KiB) Viewed 741 times
IMG_20170805_153350_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170805_153350_HDR.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 741 times
DaveW

Re: Cactus on a thin leg

Post by DaveW »

Looks like it is on a graft to me? Probably Trichocereus stock, though why somebody would bother grafting E. oxygona I don't know except as a grafting exercise.

You can either fully bury the stock, or cut off the scion and root it down.

If you cut it off don't cut it off at the stock but an inch or so up the Echinopsis from the stock since the join is usually fairly lignified and does not produce roots too well. The piece of oxygona left on the stock will also produce offsets for propagation, or you can use these as grafting stocks themselves later.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

I don't think it's a graft - just the oldest growth was quite thin (maybe low light / high fertiliser).
I thnk potting it in a rather biger pot, maybe with 10cm of top dressing (corase gravel stones etc) is the way to go. I'd expect the buried part to develop roots gradually.
The young growth on this looks very thin, as though it is curently not getting enough light. Indoors, it needs a sunny windowsill. In temperate climates, it will be OK in a sunny spot outdoors for the summer.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
mariuszli

Post by mariuszli »

Cacti weren't grafted. This is the result of unfavorable conditions at the beginning.

Recently unfortunately they were also kept (spring and half a summer) in a dark room. There wasn't direct sun.
For a week they are outside the building.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It's unusual to get such an abrupt transition from one form of growth to another though, it's usually more club shaped when it happens? Anyway you seem to be getting some pups off the narrow growth, so just pot one of those up and see what you get. If same as the top part, it was just narrow growth.