high nitrogen effect

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
XP_2600

high nitrogen effect

Post by XP_2600 »

Dear all, I noticed such burns on my selinicereus specially after each time I fertilize I am using 1:1:1 fertilizer
Is it due to high Nitrogen? And if so how I should treat them to fix it? Thanks.
IMG_20170724_021021.jpg
IMG_20170724_021021.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
XP_2600
C And D

Re: high nitrogen effect

Post by C And D »

That doesn't look burnt, it looks dead.
The other plants all look healthy.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I agree with Craig, the stock on that one looks dead but the scion looks OK, so if it is take it off and either re-graft it or root it down.

Any chemical burns would be down to the strength of the fertiliser which would either burn the epidermis or kill the roots. The same applies to over strength insecticides when people think if one spoonful per gallon is recommended four spoonful's would be even better and so burn the plant. The makers test all these things, therefore never use chemicals in stronger mixes than they recommend.

The converse can be the case for cacti since they don't grow at the rate of normal plants, which is why half strength or double the dilution for fertiliser is preferred. Also if roots are dying it may be salts build up through over fertilisation and a regular flush out with fertiliser free water occasionally is beneficial.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/discussions/27 ... ching-pots
XP_2600

Post by XP_2600 »

The plant still alive and scion grow the base till roots still green.
I noticed this reaction with Selinicereus, everytime I fertilize with balanced fertilizer, other stocks Heileiocereus seems not affected.
XP_2600