Recommendations of a couple showy genera

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
apoplast

Recommendations of a couple showy genera

Post by apoplast »

Hi all - So, I'm looking for input. Opinions welcome from all here (and you know what they say about opinions - everyone has one, like... well). I enjoy interesting forms of cacti (cryptic sticks like Peniocereus, to shrubby columnar species like Cleistocactus and Arrojadoa), but I feel like I need a few really flashy flowers in the mix too. I'm exploring the idea of growing a couple Echinopsis and Rebutia species. I say species with emphasis. It's a whole other topic, but I really only am interested in growing species. Also, before anyone weighs in, when I say Echinopsis and Rebutia, I mean sensu lato - so to include closely related genera such as Lobivia and Sulcorebutia.

Here is what I am seeking. Flowers. I prefer red and/or bicolored flowers. Larger ones. And I'd like them to be in flower as often as possible, whether that is long lasting flowers, or frequent flowering, or clump forming so they produce larger displays. Flowers. That's it. It doesn't matter to me if it is challenging to acquire, or difficult to grow. Those things can be over come with patience, diligence, and care.

What species do you think are best in Echinopsis and Rebutia for their flowers? Thanks!
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.
gemhunter178

Re: Recommendations of a couple showy genera

Post by gemhunter178 »

Flowers? Here's a bunch from my experience or from what I hear...

Free flowering:
-Gymnocalycium seem to bloom whenever they can. There are red flowered ones out there

Bicolor/more?:
-Many Astrophytum boast multicolored blooms, and the plants themselves are pretty IMHO...
-Thelocactus bicolor and related species have large blooms, many...well, bicolored.

Large flowers not mentioned:
-Selenicereus grandiflorus flowers can exceed 35cm and with older specimens, you can get a whole bunch of flowers at a time
-Notocactus/Parodia have very nice flowers. Mine only bloom one season though
-Mammillaria wrightii and some other Mammilarias can have large flowers instead of tiny ones in rings.

Other:
-Discocactus have very nicely scented flowers
-Disocactus amazonicus is the closest to blue you can get in cacti, though the blue color is not actually from pigments
-Ariocarpus kotshoubeyanus and some younger plants in this genus have large flowers for their size

Hope that helps!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Robb

Post by Robb »

You can't go wrong with any of the Echinopsis hybrids, but as for species I can recommend Echinopsis obrepanda, and oxygona. Lobivia pentlandii can have quite nicely bicoloured flowers, and its spines are good too. Lobivia ferox longspina is another one, and as an added bonus their flowers are scented. Rebutias are nice, but their flowers become a little bland after a while IMO. I'd go for ones with more atypical shades such as Rebutia perplexa, R. mammilosa, R. albiflora, or pretty much anything from the pygmaea complex. Sulcorebutia heliosoides, S. raushii, S. mizquensis are some of the nicest plants in the genus IMO.
I hope this helps somewhat, choosing new plants is always one of the most exciting parts about this hobby for me.
Good luck!
Buying a cactus a day will keep the madness away.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Rebutia heliosa for display, it's varients for red flowers - "This is one of the most floriferous cactus" Cactus-Art

Sulcorebutia canigueralii for bicoloured flowers (although it is also available in single-tone purple)
apoplast

Post by apoplast »

Thanks for the recommendations all! There are some really good ones in there. It's served to make me believe I definitely need to do a bit more research before I buy. So much out there! That and I have very, very little space. Measured in square cm in the winter. So every decision about what to grow needs to be thought out with much deliberation. You've given me much food for thought, and I appreciate it!
"If you are not killing plants, you are not really stretching yourself as a gardener."
-- J.C. Raulston, horticulturist, founder of the J.C. Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, N.C.