How to stop flowering

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ElieEstephane

How to stop flowering

Post by ElieEstephane »

I have a bunch of Gymnos, an echinopsis subdenudata and an echinopsis chamaecereus that just won't stop flowering. This is not a problem per se but i would like it to stop since there has been no new growth at all. I have a a G. Baldianum seedling that's less than an inch wide with 3 flower buds. I guess they either flower or grow.
I was thinking to let them dry up a bit to direct their energy elsewhere and then resume watering.
Comments?
Thanks in advance
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
greenknight

Re: How to stop flowering

Post by greenknight »

That's just what they do, my advice is accept it. Putting them under stress might even induce them to bloom more heavily. :shock:

The one thing that might increase vegetative growth at the expense of flowering would be to give a high-nitrogen fertilizer. You risk producing soft, bloated, unnatural-looking growth, though; they'll be better-looking cacti if they grow slowly. If they're blooming, they're surely growing some, it's just so slow it doesn't feel that way. Like the E. ancistrophora in my avatar picture didn't seem to get any bigger once it started to bloom, but it's now as tall as it is wide, where it used to have a flattened shape. Clearly it's gotten taller over 30 years or so.

Maybe try a little extra nitrogen and see how they respond - but don't overdo it.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:That's just what they do, my advice is accept it. Putting them under stress might even induce them to bloom more heavily. :shock:

The one thing that might increase vegetative growth at the expense of flowering would be to give a high-nitrogen fertilizer. You risk producing soft, bloated, unnatural-looking growth, though; they'll be better-looking cacti if they grow slowly. If they're blooming, they're surely growing some, it's just so slow it doesn't feel that way. Like the E. ancistrophora in my avatar picture didn't seem to get any bigger once it started to bloom, but it's now as tall as it is wide, where it used to have a flattened shape. Clearly it's gotten taller over 30 years or so.

Maybe try a little extra nitrogen and see how they respond - but don't overdo it.
Thanks spence! I guess i'll just have to accept it. I'll try some weak ferilizer with one of the plants and see how it resonds.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Temperatures cooling ready for winter usually stops them, but you look as though you are in a country that does not get cool winters?
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

DaveW wrote:Temperatures cooling ready for winter usually stops them, but you look as though you are in a country that does not get cool winters?
We are still far away from winter. Summer is just starting. Im actually from Lebanon. We have hot dry summers and cold wet frost free winters. The weather is same as the sicillian weather (italy) and not like the arab countries surrounding us.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Cooler temperatures also slow down growth, more growth is the goal.

Another thing that occurs to me is make sure they're not too tightly potted - root-bound conditions favor flowering. While you shouldn't over-pot them, make sure they have a little bit of space to expand their root systems - the top will grow in concert with the roots. Again, be careful not to overdo it.
Spence :mrgreen:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

greenknight wrote:Cooler temperatures also slow down growth, more growth is the goal.

Another thing that occurs to me is make sure they're not too tightly potted - root-bound conditions favor flowering. While you shouldn't over-pot them, make sure they have a little bit of space to expand their root systems - the top will grow in concert with the roots. Again, be careful not to overdo it.
They are due for a repot anyway but i keep procrastinating. So maybe i'll get to it and see what happens. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by ElieEstephane on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Most cacti are seasonal flowerers. So once spring is well and-truly over, the spring flowering plants will stop flowering and should grow.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
zozo

Post by zozo »

elieestephane wrote:I have a bunch of Gymnos, an echinopsis subdenudata and an echinopsis chamaecereus that just won't stop flowering. This is not a problem per se but i would like it to stop since there has been no new growth at all. I have a a G. Baldianum seedling that's less than an inch wide with 3 flower buds. I guess they either flower or grow.
I was thinking to let them dry up a bit to direct their energy elsewhere and then resume watering.
Comments?
Thanks in advance
Hi there ,
I am not an expert , but from what I know when you transfer them to biggte pot.
They start working on roots and less on flowering ...

Have a great day
Zozo