are my seed sprouts ok?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
babak_deghat

are my seed sprouts ok?

Post by babak_deghat »

I planted these Lophophora seeds about three months ago. They are turning darker at this very young age . Is it something to worry about?
They have plenty of sunlight+water spray 3times a-day
Aiko

Re: are my seed sprouts ok?

Post by Aiko »

If seedlings don't enjoy it, they will die and be gone really soon. Hardly no time to make up for a fault. As they are still here and not declining in numbers fast, you are doing well enough. So rest assured. Keep up the work you are doing now.

Although spraying water three times a day seems excessive, but probably depends on where you live. But they should be able to survive some periods of droughts, just as long as you don't bake them in excessive sun light and burn them away.
babak_deghat

Post by babak_deghat »

Aiko wrote:If seedlings don't enjoy it, they will die and be gone really soon. Hardly no time to make up for a fault. As they are still here and not declining in numbers fast, you are doing well enough. So rest assured. Keep up the work you are doing now.

Although spraying water three times a day seems excessive, but probably depends on where you live. But they should be able to survive some periods of droughts, just as long as you don't bake them in excessive sun light and burn them away.
No they are not dying but they are not growing either. I keep their soil always moist and they have at least two hours of DIRECT sunlight in my patio.
I just don't know why did they change from a fresh green to a dark one.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

They are slow growing. They are a bit young for direct sun, though, that's why they've turned color. They haven't turned completely red-brown, so they're not in danger, but they might grow faster with a little less sun.
Spence :mrgreen:
babak_deghat

Post by babak_deghat »

greenknight wrote:They are slow growing. They are a bit young for direct sun, though, that's why they've turned color. They haven't turned completely red-brown, so they're not in danger, but they might grow faster with a little less sun.
i moved them away from direct sunlight . hope it works! :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It should - at this stage they need bright, indirect light, not direct sun. When they're about year old you can gradually introduce them to some sun. The light you were giving them would be about right for older Lophophoras.
Bpete

Post by Bpete »

I am fairly new to growing cacti from seed but from what I understand, seedlings will be slow growing at first as most of their energy is used to grow their root system but at some point their growth rate will increase.
Bpete
Utah
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Bpete wrote:I am fairly new to growing cacti from seed but from what I understand, seedlings will be slow growing at first as most of their energy is used to grow their root system but at some point their growth rate will increase.
Correct - but if they're turning brownish, as some of them were, their growth will be suppressed. Slight reddening is okay, but brown (or purple ) is not good except on the few species that are normally that color. Lophophoras are supposed to be green.