Repotting in growing season to downsize

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Irrsinn

Repotting in growing season to downsize

Post by Irrsinn »

Several of my cacti are significantly overpotted in ~4 inch pots due to my inability to find tiny pots I thought could handle wind/thunderstorms without tipping over. I just got in a few new cacti, though, and am going to try potting them in some little 2.75 x 2.75 x 3-inch plastic pots.

If those pots turn out to be stable, should I go ahead and repot the others, even though it's already early summer? There's mixed advice about the timing of repotting in a thread from a few months ago (https://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38599) -- is correcting the problem of overpotting now worth the temporary disruption to growth from repotting? Seems like potential problems from two angles, but I don't have the experience to know which is worse.

If I do repot those, should I go through a whole cycle of peroxiding roots, drying, potting and leaving dry for a week or two, then watering? They're currently in pure pumice, and were just potted in Feb/March.
Cactus photos on Instagram.
greenknight

Re: Repotting in growing season to downsize

Post by greenknight »

If you're not changing to a different potting mix, there's no need to go to all that trouble or clean the mix off the roots - just transfer them to the new pots and wait a week or so before you water them. There won't be much disruption, I'd go ahead.
Spence :mrgreen:
Irrsinn

Re: Repotting in growing season to downsize

Post by Irrsinn »

Perfect. Thank you!
Cactus photos on Instagram.